Are you lesbian, gay, bi or trans? Hey, you are not alone!

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: Are you lesbian, gay, bi or trans? Hey, you are not alon

Postby FranW » 10 Mar 2013, 10:33

What happens when Mississippi paper covers a lesbian wedding?

Naturally, they get bombarded by angry readers. But the editor's discussion of this is heartwarming.

Many of the calls I received had the caller saying something to the effect of, I don't need my children to read this. Ugh. We have stories about child molesters, murders and all kinds of vicious, barbaric acts of evil committed by heinous criminals on our front page and yet we never receive a call from anyone saying 'I don't need my children reading this.' Never. Ever. However, a story about two women exchanging marriage vows and we get swamped with people worried about their children.

http://gaymarriedcalifornian.blogspot.c ... paper.html
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 07 May 2013, 14:19

These ladies sound fascinating, and seem so happy! IMO, the only weird thing about them is the bit about owning five snakes.

They do not hide their living arrangements but Zoe says they invariably develop a language of "partners" and other careful phrasing to avoid having to constantly explain themselves. "If your living arrangements or social situation is abnormal, you don't just come out once, you come out all the time," she says. But occasionally it can be fun to observe people's reactions. "I come out as trans first and then bisexual," says Zoe. "Just when people are getting really confused you hit them with 'poly' and their mind just explodes."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ransgender
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 24 Jun 2013, 09:20

It is getting better. A video-game artist who ten years ago would be revered and allowed to say anything he wants is copping major flack for making transphobic remarks. Yay!

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/ ... k-problem/
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 30 Aug 2013, 15:58

Yes to Love
Faithfully inclusive in Aotearoa
http://yes2love.wordpress.com/

:cool:
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 31 Aug 2013, 01:13

Yes, very cool.

Yes :cool:
Slowly, surely, the times they are a-changing. Here in the US, the Lutherans recently elected their first female presiding bishop. She won over the then-current presiding bishop...something like 600 to 260 votes. She was one of the moving forces in getting the Lutherans to allow gay clergy and partnered gay clergy. She herself is married to an Episcopal priest. It seems to me that if the intent is a religion of love, there should be that kind of inclusive approach.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 31 Aug 2013, 08:16

I suspect this will please Jo, since it's her co-religionists speaking out in contradiction to those noisy, hateful voices who get the media attention.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 31 Aug 2013, 09:07

Yes, it does but it always pleases me whether it's people of faith or not!

I have to say, my own vicar has, in his rather unique way, become really quite interested in gay issues. He was telling me last Sunday how awful things were in Russia and that I must make sure I didn't go on holiday there with Sue. I assured him that was highly unlikely and that he should look up ILGA data. He has gone on his own journey and asked himself questions and challenged himself, as have many of the church family that we belong to. He has always welcomed us both but his theological position has definitely shifted. The good thing is, Sue and I didn't ask him to do this, it has just happened. It just quietly happened, in a kind of typically English way actually ;)

Crisco*, if you read this, I am sure you will be able to imagine Robin obsessing about something!

He caused an uproar at the local meeting of clergy/ministers/priests with his support of gay marriage - not because of me/Sue, but because he had spent a long time reading, reassessing, praying and felt theologically his position was right before God. So yes, I am pleased but mostly I am thankful, very thankful, that love and what is right is beginning to be heard more and more.

* Crisco has spent a good half hour climbing our ancient church tower after a morning service, up ladders and past bells and bat nests, in the company of several people, including kids and the vicar.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 11 Oct 2013, 21:45

A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 11 Oct 2013, 23:53

Ain't love grand?
Somewhere, I have one of those calendars too.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 07 Dec 2013, 08:04

No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat