Not funny, not weird, not stupid -- but interesting.

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: Not funny, not weird, not stupid -- but interesting.

Postby Proofrdr » 11 Dec 2015, 08:36

wildlx wrote:Proof, in the top 15 you missed that there's a book from 1949, Nineteen Eighty Four.

Ah, old eyes. ;)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 12 Dec 2015, 06:20

Old eyes, young heart!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 13 Dec 2015, 02:16

Thank you. But some days I really wonder! lol
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 18 Dec 2015, 02:51

I strongly urge you all to check out the Google homepage today. It's the 245th anniversary of Beethoven's birth and they're gone all out for the occasion. Check it out here.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 05 Jan 2016, 06:36

We seem to be in full rediscovery of women photographers. I was in the UK last week and managed to see in London a great exhibition about Lee Miller at the Imperial War Museum:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/exhibitions/iwm-l ... oman-s-war
http://www.iwm.org.uk/history/who-was-lee-miller

Unfortunately I missed the exhibition about Julia Margaret Cameron at the V & A Museum:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibition ... t-cameron/

At the same time in Paris at both the Musée d'Orsay and L'Orangerie there is the exhibition 'Who's Afraid of Women Photographers? 1839-1945'

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/index.php?id= ... &tx_ttnews[tt_news]=42673&no_cache=1

A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 03 Feb 2016, 10:01

From Ireland a bit of lesbian history:

In the 1916 commemorations, women are celebrated as the forgotten heroes of 1916. But there is another hidden history and it concerns women who loved women.

The rest here : Lesbians of 1916 are the Rising's 'hidden history'
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 03 Feb 2016, 13:30

It's a shame that there is so little written about those relationships at the time.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 08 Feb 2016, 14:09

Yes. Lesbian erasure was and is a problem.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 14 Feb 2016, 23:35

The Water Next Time: Professor Who Helped Expose Crisis in Flint Says Public Science Is Broken

I am very concerned about the culture of academia in this country and the perverse incentives that are given to young faculty. The pressures to get funding are just extraordinary. We’re all on this hedonistic treadmill — pursuing funding, pursuing fame, pursuing h-index — and the idea of science as a public good is being lost.
This is something that I’m upset about deeply. I’ve kind of dedicated my career to try to raise awareness about this. I’m losing a lot of friends. People don’t want to hear this. But we have to get this fixed, and fixed fast, or else we are going to lose this symbiotic relationship with the public. They will stop supporting us.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 14 Feb 2016, 23:39

She Painted Marie Antoinette (and Escaped the Guillotine)

The career of the French portraitist Elisabeth Louise Vigée Le Brun (1755-1842), the subject of a ravishing, overdue survey at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, unfolded in those earlier times, almost entirely in the courts of Europe. She is best known as a painter of unusually sympathic portraits of beautiful women of high rank. Only one-sixth of the sitters in these works are male, but their portraits confirm that she was equally effective with men.
Stylistically, Vigée Le Brun avoided both the lightness of Late Rococo and the artifice of Neo-Classicism, countering both with a modulated naturalism.
She became an artist against great odds, as did any woman in late-18th-century Paris, and aided by the patronage of Marie Antoinette, went on to thrive in a nine-lives, astutely managed sort of way. But her royal ties made her a target of the press, as did her high prices and her gender. She wisely fled France at the start of the revolution. Abroad, she orchestrated an equally successful career portraying the elites of Italy, Vienna, Berlin and especially Russia, before returning to France in 1802 once her name was struck from the list of enemy émigrés. She died in Paris at the age of 86, feeling she had outlived her time.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat