Not funny, not weird, not stupid -- but interesting.

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Not funny, not weird, not stupid -- but interesting.

Postby FranW » 06 May 2011, 12:19

We've got the Stupid Thread and the Funny and Weird Thread, but there seems to be something missing, so I've started the Interesting (but not funny or weird or stupid) thread. Post 'em here.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Not funny, not weird, not stupid -- but interesting.

Postby FranW » 06 May 2011, 12:23

I found this interesting: The Last Post. An accurate title in every sense of the word. A blog post written by a guy with a terminal illness, posted (at his request) just after his death. It's not macabre or creepy or voyeuristic. It's an honest account of what this man, an atheist, was thinking about, what he prioritised and believed, knowing he was about to die. He's gracious and honourable in death. Below are brief excerpts: Go read the whole thing.
Here it is. I'm dead, and this is my last post to my blog. In advance, I asked that once my body finally shut down from the punishments of my cancer, then my family and friends publish this prepared message I wrote—the first part of the process of turning this from an active website to an archive.

haven't gone to a better place, or a worse one. I haven't gone anyplace, because Derek doesn't exist anymore. As soon as my body stopped functioning, and the neurons in my brain ceased firing, I made a remarkable transformation: from a living organism to a corpse, like a flower or a mouse that didn't make it through a particularly frosty night. The evidence is clear that once I died, it was over.

So I was unafraid of death—of the moment itself—and of what came afterwards, which was (and is) nothing. As I did all along, I remained somewhat afraid of the process of dying, of increasing weakness and fatigue, of pain, of becoming less and less of myself as I got there. I was lucky that my mental faculties were mostly unaffected over the months and years before the end, and there was no sign of cancer in my brain—as far as I or anyone else knew.

The world, indeed the whole universe, is a beautiful, astonishing, wondrous place. There is always more to find out. I don't look back and regret anything, and I hope my family can find a way to do the same.

What is true is that I loved them.

http://penmachine-bu.appspot.com/2011/05/the-last-post
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 06 May 2011, 12:28

That is great. There have been, and still are, several blogs of people who have terminal illnesses.

Obviously, the appeal of the one you quoted was that he was an atheist. The way he viewed his death exposes the nonsense of the type "there are no atheists in foxholes".
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby ElaineB » 07 May 2011, 05:58

I don't know whether it's my age or hormonal changes, but lately I've had these mini panic attacks at the thought of not existing anymore. It's not that I don't want to die, or am afraid to die, I don't want to cease to exist. But then I think, well what difference does it make? If there's an afterlife, cool. But if there isn't, and we just wink out like a flame, I won't be aware of that. I go to sleep every night. There's no guarantee I'll wake up in the morning, yet it doesn't bother me to go to sleep. I rather enjoy it (wish I was better at it!).

Jeez, he was young. Ah, that last bit.

I, too, remember when I was a kid, calculating out how old I'd be in 2000. It seemed impossibly old. Now, I see news reports of something that might happen in 2070 and I think. I won't be here for that. I can't possibly last that long. It's a strange sensation. Beth's mother had a close friend to the whole family, like an aunt. She was a pistol. One time we were driving her and she was going on about how she didn't want to miss out on things. That's what pissed her off about aging and knowing she was going to die. I didn't quite grasp it then, and it wasn't that long ago, but I sure do now.

One thing it does for me is motivate me to write. I'll be royally pissed if I wink out and haven't finished my novel. Just one would be OK. I'd like to do more. I wish I could churn things out like others do, so it'll be an accomplishment if I get one where I want it. (Whether it ever gets published is for others to decide. All I can control is my part.)

If anyone remembers forumite Safe Bet, she had a blog that her wife took over after she died. Here. I check it out occasionally. If you click to "last" at the bottom, it begins with Suzy's posts, then Amy takes over. Some are quite gut wrenching and incredibly touching. It's an interesting insight into moving on.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 07 May 2011, 06:06

I've read the blog and yeah it's moving. As for the rest, I often wonder how I got this old, and yet I don't feel old??? It's confusing to say the least.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Garza » 07 May 2011, 06:39

Deej, you're only as old as you feel!
I know that *I* sure as sh*t don't want to feel old when I'm "old".
Love more; give what you can; want less.
Garza
Increasingly animated
Increasingly animated

Postby PaulaO » 07 May 2011, 06:55

Deej, take your Geritol today and your Centrum Silver?
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 07 May 2011, 07:21

ImageImageImage I knew I forgot something. rofl
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 07 May 2011, 07:51

I get seriously blown away when I see a photo of me now. I don't look anything like I think I look. lol
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 08 May 2011, 12:45

The pretext for making this video was the fact that the Finns are not willing to approve Portugal's bailout by the EU. Jo, suggested that I posted it in the forum. Like her I agree it is a good way of knowing facts and trivia about Portugal and the Portuguese (besides making a point to the Finns ;-)).

A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to General Chat