American politics

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: American politics

Postby Proofrdr » 16 Feb 2016, 12:59

They hate Obama with such fervor, it's irrational. He is always measured and respectful to them, but they are willing to hurt the country in order to hurt him. History will treat this president much more kindly than it will treat the Republican Congress.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 22 Feb 2016, 01:13

Donald Trump is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist, birther and bully who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims—all 1.6 billion members of an entire religion—from entering the U.S.

I read that somewhere, but wrote it down without proper citation. Gettin' old and sloppy.

That, however, is a precise and accurate analysis of the Republican front-runner. I watch his performances before crowds of adoring supporters and marvel at how they can be so taken in by him. He offers absolutely no solutions, just this: "I'll take care of it. Believe me, I know how to get it done."

Best example of that is his solution to illegal immigration from Mexico. (Fact: Currently, there are fewer illegal immigrants coming across that border into the US than are leaving.) That notwithstanding, he says it's a "terrible problem" and he will solve it by building a huge wall between the U.S. and Mexico. But here's the corker—Mexico is going to pay for it. How? "Don't worry, I'm a businessman. I know how to get it done."

He is all bluster and entertainment. He swears, uses vulgar language in his stump speeches, mocks his opponents, rambles endlessly when asked a question, and disparages reporters who question his answers. And all the while the minions cheer.

It reminds me of the crowds in Orwell's 1984. Trump's supporters might as well also be chanting that slogan "war is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength." The possibility of his winning the election is terrifying.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 22 Feb 2016, 06:42

Agreed. With the caveat that while his foreign diplomacy will be a complete debacle, he won't be able to do all of the things he's saying (or much of anything else) because the president, unlike the CEO and business owner, actually has very little power.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 22 Feb 2016, 09:10

True that he probably wouldn't get much of his agenda done, but with that ego and his disinterest in compromise and consensus building, he certainly could wreak much havoc. I just can't stand to watch or listen to him.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Sacchi » 22 Feb 2016, 13:02

I don't know whether it matters or not, but even though Trump is "in the lead," he's only getting about a third of the Republican vote (and who knows how many aren't voting at all because of the poor choices offered.) If the others can hang on long enough to keep the convention from being decided on the first vote, who knows what will happen? In some ways Cruz is more frightening than Trump, because Trump is likely to get bored and do nothing substantive, but Cruz is smart and evil enough to possibly push things through, with an emphasis on religion. Trump doesn't give a damn abut religion except how the occasional nod to it might get him elected.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 23 Feb 2016, 06:20

It's like a train wreck: horrible, but impossible to tear your eyes away. I'm with Sacchi that Cruz or Rubio would in many ways be more frightening than Trump, because they would be more effective and manipulative rather than just pure bluster and ego.

But if Trump can derail or split the Repub vote so that Bernie/Hillary takes it in the end, then he'll have done a great service to the country.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 23 Feb 2016, 11:55

I agree about Cruz and Rubio.

Cruz is arrogant, condescending, unctuous, conniving, slick, and devious. Unfortunately, he's also very intelligent. The only positive about him is that every one of his fellow senators despises him and none have supported anything he has put forth. He's a pariah. For that reason, I worry more about Rubio. He's a tool and will be easily manipulated.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 24 Feb 2016, 07:05

That's the impression I'm getting, too, P. I reckon Rubio is a lot like Shrub in that sense.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 27 Feb 2016, 07:37

An extremely well-written can't-think-of-the-word on Trump:

Let's be clear: Trump is no fluke. Nor is he hijacking the Republican Party or the conservative movement, if there is such a thing. He is, rather, the party's creation, its Frankenstein monster, brought to life by the party, fed by the party and now made strong enough to destroy its maker....

We are supposed to believe that Trump's legion of "angry" people are angry about wage stagnation. No, they are angry about all the things Republicans have told them to be angry about these past 7-years, and it has been Trump's good fortune to be the guy to sweep them up and become their standard-bearer. He is the Napoleon who has harvested the fruit of the revolution.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... d=11596409
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 27 Feb 2016, 12:12

That is absolutely spot on! Remarkable editorial piece. Thank you for posting it.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat