American politics

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: American politics

Postby FranW » 05 Dec 2016, 06:40

I skype with my parents each week. My mother voted for the orange dumpster fire because abortion. My father doesn't like him but says he's sure nothing bad will happen under him because optimism. I guess when you're 99 you really don't have a lot of reason to care either way.

Sigh.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 05 Dec 2016, 09:12

99! Wow.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 06 Dec 2016, 06:23

Yeah -- dad is 99, mum is 90. Still living at home completely independently. Still driving (!). Mum still plays golf.

They got the Republican House, Senate, and President they voted for. If social security and medicare get dismantled and privatized, it'll hit them hard....I guess it'll be one of those 'beware what you ask the gods for' thing.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 06 Dec 2016, 09:14

We're both on Medicare now. My child bride finally caught up with me. ;) In terms of Social Security, we were hobbled by Reagan who thought that teachers were getting paid too much in retirement what with our pensions and Social Security. He said we were double-dipping. So all public school teachers' SS payments were cut back by 60%. It didn't matter that we paid into both pensions or that the teacher pension was not robust to begin with. It's tough being on a stagnant income. And you're right, Fran, with privatization, a lot of us will be hurting.

Meanwhile, will you folks in NZ be affected by the impending war between the US and China?
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 10 Dec 2016, 01:47

Beth also got hit by the SS/pension crap. Plus, the 7 years she worked in a public special needs school didn't count toward her teacher's pension because the school paid a paltry sum into TIAA-CREF for her. She couldn't even buy back those years.

My fear is that when all of Trump's policies fail, his supporters won't blame him. They'll blame conspiracies, anything but him and his billionaire cabinet. (If they aren't billionaires, they are generals. It's unprecedented.)
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 10 Dec 2016, 08:13

The appointment that most gets me is this latest that places a climate change disbeliever at the head of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Meanwhile, Trump is trying to get the government of Ireland to allow him to build a sea wall at his latest golf course to protect it from the rising tides. DUH!!!! :scared:
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 11 Dec 2016, 06:35

:no:
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 24 Dec 2016, 08:11

I hope everyone can forget the orange shitgibbon long enough to have a happy, peaceful holiday season.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 25 Dec 2016, 06:41

Oh, yeah! Happy, Merry to you too!
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Dec 2016, 02:41

Yes, happy holidays to all.

We try to avoid all pronouncements from the orange man. The switch channel button gets good use and is the only way to avoid a rise in blood pressure.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat