Good Things In The News

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: Good Things In The News

Postby Nurse Jo » 27 Nov 2013, 10:35

There are good people in this world. These people show how healthcare should be - non-discriminatory, even in one of the most volatile and troubled regions of the world.

I can go to bed feeling positive now!
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 28 Nov 2013, 06:23

:-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby FranW » 28 Nov 2013, 06:36

Yay!

In a similar vein, I've been dead impressed by what my papal namesake has been saying.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 28 Nov 2013, 09:37

Yes, he is making all the right noises, he certainly seems to be nearer to the values of the early church than any pope recently. The first apostles lived hand to mouth and relied through faith on the kindness of others, often not knowing where their next meal would come from, they certainly didn't have ornate homes or palaces or exotic robes!! This pope seems to have read the same bible I've got.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 28 Nov 2013, 09:53

Yup, he's been saying the right stuff. Unfortunately, using the pretext of that referendum he's asked regarding the church position on gays, abortion etc the Portuguese bishops have produced an unbelievable document where they defend that the abortion law and same-sex marriage rights should be questioned here and things should return to the way they were before those laws were approved.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 28 Nov 2013, 11:13

I reckon that 99.99999999% of the upper church hierarchy are wholly appalled at what Frannybabe is saying about $$$ but they can't disagree without demonstrating their hypocrisy so the poor things are all in a tizzy! So they keep turning the conversation back to the talking points that rile up their base.

Francis, I think, is against gay marriage and abortion and has no intention of changing the church stance on that. The church was, is, and will be against gay marriage. Fine. But he doesn't see them as a major important issues, and I respect him for that. The church was founded on 'do unto others' and 'care for the orphans and widows' and 'love your enemy' and 'do not kill' and 'rich man, needle, eye, camel, heaven, comparative ease of passage', and the church has completely lost the plot on that one, and Francis is trying to bring the church back to its original values and mission. Good luck to him. I'm betting the cardinals are horrified at what they have wrought.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 28 Nov 2013, 20:08

Yes, I tend to agree Fran.
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 29 Nov 2013, 06:02

Um, actually, this pope isn't saying anything that other popes haven't. No idea why he's getting better press: or why people expect it to have any impact this time when it clearly hasn't before.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby FranW » 29 Nov 2013, 06:19

I think it's because F's actions mirror his words; Benedict would mouth pious platitudes while living like royalty.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 29 Nov 2013, 06:28

Yup. He has at the moment an image of being more genuine. The other popes were not veruy convincing, at least from outside the ROC.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat