Happy/Merry Holiday!

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: Happy/Merry Holiday!

Postby Proofrdr » 27 Nov 2015, 04:57

'Tis Thanksgiving Day in the US. The house is redolent with the tantalizing aromas of candied sweet potatoes and trays of roasting butternut squash and cauliflower. I'm on light cooking duty today; niece Linda is doing the rest and hosting the meal. After the strain of Athena's months-long illness, I'm thankful for that.

I'm thankful also for the continued friendships and dialog with the thoughtful, interesting, talented habitués of the LFF. Happy Thanksgiving Day to you all—with or without the obligatory turkey. ;)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 27 Nov 2015, 08:16

Thank you, Proof :)- Have a great Thanksgiving Day and I hope that your niece's cooking is up to par ;).
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 28 Nov 2015, 07:09

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate it -- and, regardless of nationality, it's a timely reminder to recognise all the good things in our lives that we are thankful for.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Nov 2015, 14:20

We had a wonderful meal. Brian roasted the turkey and a ham. Linda made 4 different salads. mashed potatoes, the hors oeuvre, and pies. I made the candied yams, roasted cauliflower, and roasted butternut squash. We came home with a little of everything and had another lovely meal tonight . . . and there's more for tomorrow! I also got the turkey carcass and the ham bone to take home. Today I made stocks from both that I'll freeze for winter soups.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 29 Nov 2015, 07:19

YUM!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Sacchi » 01 Dec 2015, 16:37

I made stock, too. I always buy the organic/free-range/etc. turkey, my sister-in-law cooks it, and I take the carcass home afterward. Tomorrow I hope to have time to use the stock and gleaned bits of meat to make turkey curry soup from a recipe that was circulating online last year, and really did turn out to be good. Should be plenty to freeze for future meals.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 02 Dec 2015, 01:28

Truthfully, with all the side dishes, I usually don't eat much more than a very small portion of turkey on Thanksgiving Day. But when you have the carcass, the leftovers on the turkey do keep giving, don't they?

Care to share that Turkey curry soup recipe, Sacchi?
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Sacchi » 02 Dec 2015, 16:40

Turns out it's not some secret heirloom family recipe, but a form of Anglo-Indian Mulligatawny.
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/curried_turkey_soup/

I did make it last year, and it went over very well. The apples are big plus, I think. To be fair, I may have added some Curried Mango Grille Sauce from Stonewall Kitchen last year, and may do it this year if it seems appropriate.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 29 Dec 2015, 06:13

Thanks for the recipe, Sacchi. I made it with turkey stock, but with chicken meat. It's definitely a keeper! Also need to thank you for the Benne Seed cookie recipe. I made them when the boys were here for an overnight (it's what they wanted for a Christmas present) and they were eating them almost as fast as I was taking them off the trays. The cookies are easy to make and almost too easy to eat!

I make several different kinds of biscotti as well as Athena's favorite Greek cookies and give plates of them as Christmas presents to the neighbors. One neighbor always gives us a beautiful poinsettia. Another neighbor usually gives us a good bottle of wine. This year, however, he gave us a bottle of pumpkin-flavored eggnog. In itself, bottled eggnog is a crime against humanity. I can't fathom how the addition of pumpkin flavor would improve that status. I asked Athena if she wanted to try it. She said I had to try it first. The bottle remains sealed. And I finally have use for this emoticon :puke: .
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 29 Dec 2015, 07:11

Pumpkin....eggnog....OMG, my brain just stopped.

What kind of cookies are the Benne Seed ones?
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat