Sport

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: Sport

Postby wildlx » 19 Oct 2015, 08:14

Wow. I missed both games. I just saw the highlights of the All Blacks vs France. That was great playing and as I told you France was not playing much :). What a result! Pity the missed try by Ma'a Nonu.
I'm very sorry for Wales, a team which I've always supported. Also, the team you have worse statistics against is the Boks.

I just saw in the news that Scotland lost to the Wallabies in the final minute...
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 21 Oct 2015, 06:30

Well, that Australia vs Scotland match was a lot closer than many (including me) expected. Good fight by Scotland. Controversial penalty awared at the death that allowed Australia to edge ahead.

France played pretty much the same as they played the week before against Ireland. We hadn't watched either team play much, and were surprised by how slow and monotonous the game was. Neither team showed much invention in attack, they didn't show much hurry in recycling the ball, and the kicking was pretty predictable. After seeing that game, we were confident the ABs would beat them, but I doubt anyone predicted by how much.

Nor were we surprised by Argentina beating the Irish. The last few years playing in the Rugby Championship has made a tremendous difference to the Pumas. They're a more complete team--rather than just lumbering forwards and a number 10. And they're a lot fitter. They've had to learn to play for the full 80 minutes, so while Ireland put up a fight in the middle 40, Argentina took it away from them in the last quarter.

I see lots of anguish over an all Southern Hemisphere final.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 21 Oct 2015, 07:49

You already have the semi-finals with all teams from the Southern Hemisphere ;).
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 22 Oct 2015, 06:58

Exactly.

This is the sort of pissiness from English commentators that fuels the schadenfreude in seeing the English team get spanked:

New Zealand are not only the world's leading rugby nation. They also own the game. They do so because people are prepared to buy into the All Black myth. This is a useful advantage to take into the knockout stages of the Rugby World Cup.

New Zealand get special privileges, like the right to perform a morale-boosting war dance before their matches -- as do a number of the Pacific nations. I once asked readers about counter-hakaing; the best suggestion was that England perform the hokey-cokey, or perhaps a spot of Morris dancing. But that wouldn't be accepted because you have to "respect" the haka.

source of English pissiness
Always the haka. And I suspect everyone would LOVE to see the English rugby team Morris dancing on the pitch.

There is a feeling in rugby that if New Zealand do it, it must be right. Their edgework around the fringes of the law gets more sympathy from referees than similar efforts of other nations.

But that's because they own the game. That has an effect on opponents, administrators, referees, supporters, pundits and journalists. New Zealand are not just as better than everyone else, they're also more important.

And, yes, an oligatory oblique refrain of "Richie McCaw cheats" in there with the comment about "fringework". :no:
This one even claims the uniform colour gives them an unfair advantage! :roll:
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 25 Oct 2015, 04:56

Yay! NZ in the final :dance:. I only saw the first half and and the 2nd half up until Carter's kick. Then I left for the opera and followed the 2nd half on my phone. Apparently NZ played better on the last part of the match.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 26 Oct 2015, 05:17

Not pretty rugby, but what you'd expect of these two teams in wet weather. I was a bit disappointed in the Boks, to be honest, because they showed no interest in attacking. Their whole game plan was to milk penalties. At least the ABs scored 2 tries.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 29 Oct 2015, 09:55

Yes. The game was mostly negative when it came to SA. So, are you hopeful that you'll be able to win the final ;-)?
I just asked a friend to record the final, as I will be at the Met HD live watching Tannhauser,
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 01 Nov 2015, 02:11

Go NZ! :cheer:
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 01 Nov 2015, 11:00

:dance: Congrats! Great win!
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 01 Nov 2015, 14:04

Congrats. Glad they won!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat