Sport

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Sport

Postby Baker » 14 May 2014, 08:30

Well, this was inevitable: All Blacks confirm USA test match in Chicago

Yes, the ABs will be playing the USA Eagles in Chicago on November 1st. This is purely a money-spinner, since it is a mismatch in terms of the teams. The ABs are the number 1 team in world rugby. They have played the USA three times (going back to 1913). The ABs average 50 points, whereas the Eagles score a penalty kick or two each match. The interest for NZers will be if the ABs field a second string side, or if all the frontline players want a crack at what might be their only chance to play in the USA. Although, I can't see how giving the USA a bath will do much for encouraging that country's interest in the game.

Actually, I was reading the other day some comparisons of rugby with American gridiron. The part about the USA game taking 4 hours, yet the actually playing time being one quarter of that was lauded by fans as a feature: it's also very television ad friendly. That would bore me to tears. I wonder how audiences not used to rugby will take the play in two continuous 40 minute blocks? Advertisers might not be keen.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Re: Sport

Postby wildlx » 15 May 2014, 00:46

Well, in terms of match time it is similar to soccer, which has been slowly gaining momentum in the USA. Anyway, nothing like see rugby well played to promote the sport.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 15 May 2014, 07:26

Oh, I agree: examples of good games are great ways to promote the sport. The problem is that mismatched teams are unlikely to provide good play--especially not for the home crowd whose team is on the wrong end of a romp. Still, USA players have made it to professional European clubs in the last several years, so the quality of play has to be improving.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 15 May 2014, 08:02

One of the reasons I'm always pleased if something is on the BBC is that I don't have to watch adverts. We'll often tape stuff on other channels just to avoid adverts. I'm happy to pay the licence fee just for lack of adverts alone!
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 08 Jun 2014, 08:50

I see that Portugal are in the same group as the USA for the World Cup (soccer). Are you predicting a nail-biter, Wild?
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 08 Jun 2014, 09:00

Probably, Baker. Some of our best players have been injured, including Cristiano Ronaldo and the team hasn't been playing well.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 08 Jun 2014, 09:05

Oh, that sucks. Your hopes are not high for taking the cup, then?
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 08 Jun 2014, 09:13

lol. No, not with our current players. Being provocative I would love to see Argentina win the cup :hh:.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 08 Jun 2014, 09:18

Why is that provocative? (Because they're not Spain?)
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 08 Jun 2014, 09:45

An Argentina v England final would be very provocative. Although it is very unlikely that England will get that far...
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to General Chat