Fun with Weather

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Fun with Weather

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Jan 2015, 03:39

This is our forecast for the next couple of days:

It's a legitimate blizzard headed our way. Neither Athena nor I are allowed to shovel snow anymore, so now it's just a matter of making sure we have what we need and then battening down the hatches until we are shoveled out. Take care up there, Sacchi. I assume you'll probably get more than we do.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Fun with Weather

Postby Baker » 26 Jan 2015, 06:14

Wow. Take care.

Here we're desperately scanning long-range forecasts for some rain.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Sacchi » 26 Jan 2015, 10:27

Proof, I probably won't get more than you do, because I'm pretty far west (about seven miles west of Quabbin) but you never know. And I'm scheduled to be driving an hour east on Wednesday morning to pick up my father and take him to an 11:30 doctor appointment in Worcester. Tonight I'll try to persuade him to cancel the appointment and make another one, although so many people will be doing the same that it will be hard to get another one within any decent length of time. If it were Tuesday there'd be no question of going, and the doctor's office will probably be closed, but Wednesday isn;t as clear-cut a situation. Even if I'm dug out in time to leave here at 9 in the morning, where my dad lives (near RTE 495 north of Worcester) and Worcester may not be passable by the time I get there.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Jan 2015, 11:58

Unfortunately, Worcester is smack in the middle of the track of most of the blizzards that comes through here. If this thing forms up the way it is being forecast, no one's going anywhere on Wednesday!

I'm listening to the forecast now and they're announcing a blizzard warning for all of southeastern New England as far west as New York with 15 to 30 inches of snow. The winds will be very strong—50 mph over land and up to hurricane-force winds on the Cape. That means probable power loss in many areas. Time to batten down the hatches!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 27 Jan 2015, 07:56

It sounds like you East Coasters are in for some dire weather. I heard NYC has put on a traffic curfew! Stay safe, y'all, and be very very careful if you have to set foot out of doors.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 27 Jan 2015, 08:52

Stay safe! Here, I can't complain at the moment because the weather is quite good for the season.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 27 Jan 2015, 09:02

Yes, it looks pretty ominous. It's been snowing here on and off since this morning—light flurries until about an hour ago. Now it's getting down to business.

Traffic bans have been announced almost everywhere. We have to all be off the roads here in RI by midnight. Anyone who has half a brain and has gone through one of these before won't fool around, but there are always some idiots who think they are invincible and above the law.

We were out this morning getting some last minute things . . . batteries for the flashlight and some sand for traction on the ice that already formed on our driveway. I'm about to put a couple of loaves of bread in the oven. I'm baking now in case we lose electricity later.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 27 Jan 2015, 10:44

Gosh, stay safe and Sacchi, get your father to cancel that appointment.

However Proof, it still sounds exciting, all the battening down of hatches, last minute provisions and baking bread. Sorry, I just can't help it. I read The long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder until it fell apart in my hands as a 6 year old, I blame exposure to that book.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 27 Jan 2015, 11:04

It is kind of exciting, Nurse Jo, but only if you don't have anywhere you have to get to, you don't lose electricity, a tree doesn't fall on your house or car, you don't get sick, and there's nobody who's not with you that you have to worry about.

If nothing like that happens, it's rather awesome and beautiful to watch and, if you're with your love, it's like a vacation together with no interruptions. It's a time for baking bread and simmering stews, cuddling on the couch, reading, knitting, and doing nothing important without feeling guilty.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 28 Jan 2015, 09:28

Nurse Jo wrote: However Proof, it still sounds exciting, all the battening down of hatches, last minute provisions and baking bread. Sorry, I just can't help it. I read The long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder until it fell apart in my hands as a 6 year old, I blame exposure to that book.

lol
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to General Chat