The Women of Google

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

The Women of Google

Postby Proofrdr » 27 May 2015, 02:24

I hope it's okay that I started this thread. Now that Google is more consistently honoring women, there really should be one place for them.

Today's honoree is Dr. Sally Ride—astrophysicist, astronaut, and the first American woman in space. In 1978, Ride earned her Ph.D. in physics and beat out 1,000 other applicants for a spot in NASA's astronaut program. She made 2 trips into space and was scheduled for a 3rd when the Challenger accident occurred.

After NASA, Dr. Ride became the director of the California Space Institute at the University of California, San Diego, as well as a professor of physics at the school in 1989. In 2001, she started her own company to create educational programs and products known as Sally Ride Science to help inspire girls and young women to pursue their interests in science and math. Ride served as president and CEO.

It wasn't until after her death from pancreatic cancer in 2012 that her obituary revealed that she was survived by her partner, a woman. Dr. Sally Ride—astrophysicist, astronaut, first American woman in space, lesbian.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: The Women of Google

Postby Proofrdr » 27 May 2015, 04:22

Interesting addendum: Check here There's a video there by the artist who created the doodle.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 27 May 2015, 07:22

Excellent idea for a thread, Proof. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 27 May 2015, 09:30

Now that this is in place, watch it be months before the next one. lol
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 28 May 2015, 01:55

I've loved that Google is doing this. Makes me mad that as a kid I never knew about these women, especially the scientists.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 28 May 2015, 05:57

Great idea, Proof :-)!
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 May 2015, 06:31

I agree with you, Elaine. There were no roll models in science for girls born in the early 40s or 50s. And not many in the 60s, even with women starting to claim their voice. All my science teachers were men and, except for one, all the math teachers too. I was the only girl in the physics class my senior year. Lonely, lonely experience that! That demographic didn't change much in 1960 when I started in college. Very few women in full professorships, and not many as associate professors. The women profs I did have were wonderful teachers and amazing women in their fields. Thankfully, that has changed a lot . . . at my university, at least. We even have a woman President now.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 31 May 2015, 09:44

:secret: Role

Yes, it's hard to overstate the importance of role models. Women can do things. Especially when you look at the history of women's education, which has been non-existent to appalling, and the active discouragement of women's intellectual and artisitic achievements. We need to rediscover and celebrate our history.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 31 May 2015, 13:44

I know, I know. I saw it after I wrote it, but didn't go back and edit. :roll:
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 04 Jun 2015, 07:23

Hah, that was the first thing I caught, too! Cuz my mum was a roll model. Also a bun model, loaf model, cake model, and pot roast model :D
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to General Chat