The Women of Google

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: The Women of Google

Postby Proofrdr » 22 Jun 2015, 02:36

You're right, Elaine. The weather is very fickle up top and can change faster than a body can get down and out of it. My attempts were always in that last week of August. I think if we'd been able to go the first week of August, we'd have had a better chance. Up in the mountains, it starts getting cold in August. I can remember morning flag-raisings when the collected exhalations of the 200 campers created a little cloud around us, and nights so cold I slept in my clothes and bundled up in my mummy sleeping bag.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 16 Jul 2015, 04:29

This is Alice Bowman. She's not a Woman of Google, but she should be. She is Mission Operations Manager (MOM) of New Horizons (Applied Physics Laboratory’s mission to Pluto) and group supervisor of the Space Department’s Space Mission Operations Group. Women make up about 25% of her New Horizon team of over 100 scientists. Here they are:

Women on the move!

Additional comment:
I just need to add that the rocket is the fastest we've yet used. It's traveled 3 BILLION miles and took 9 years to get to Pluto. Now it's sending back amazing high def pictures of the dwarf planet at the edge of our solar system. This is freaking awesome!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 16 Jul 2015, 09:11

Only 25%? Still it is good that the manager is a woman.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 16 Jul 2015, 09:16

Ditto.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 16 Jul 2015, 13:35

It's a paltry percentage, but it's 5 times more than worked on some of the earlier exploratory rockets like Voyager. One of my mother's cousins was a mechanical draftswoman. She was very good and managed to work her way into the National Aeronautics and Space Administration where, among other things, she helped design the gantries from which the first space ships were launched. She was the only woman working in the design group. I remember her stories about how she was kind of ignored, but her ideas were always used. I haven't thought about her for years. I liked her. She taught me how to use a slide rule.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 16 Jul 2015, 23:16

Today Google honors the 153rd birthday of Ida B. Wells. She was born in Holly Springs, Mississippi in 1862 and died in Chicago, Illinois 1931 at the age of sixty-nine. She was a fearless anti-lynching crusader, suffragist, women's rights advocate, journalist, and speaker. Or, as The Huffington Post describes her, she was a "Fearless Journalist And All-Round Badass."

Illustrative of the "badass" moniker, this from Huff Post:
When Ida B. Wells was 22, she was asked by a conductor of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad Company to give up her seat on the train to a white man. She refused, and the conductor attempted to forcibly drag her out of her seat.

Wells wouldn't budge.

“The moment he caught hold of my arm I fastened my teeth in the back of his hand,” she wrote in her autobiography. “I had braced my feet against the seat in front and was holding to the back, and as he had already been badly bitten he didn't try it again by himself. He went forward and got the baggageman and another man to help him and of course they succeeded in dragging me out.”

The year was 1884 -- about 70 years before Rosa Parks would refuse to give up her seat on an Alabama bus.

She stands as one of our nation's most uncompromising leaders and most ardent defenders of democracy.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 18 Jul 2015, 09:24

Thanks for that. I'd never heard of her. Of course, women of colour face even greater prejudice. Badass indeed! :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 10 Nov 2015, 07:16

Great Google Doodle today commemorating the 101st anniversary of Hedy Lamarr.

hthttps://www.google.com/doodles/hedy-l ... t-birthday
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 10 Nov 2015, 13:48

Pretty remarkable woman.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 12 Jan 2016, 04:44

Google honors Alice Paul today on the anniversary of her birth. She is one of the moving forces that gave American women the vote. From a prominent Pennsylvania Quaker family, she has ancestry with the Penns of Pennsylvania and the Winthrops of Boston. She was well educated at American University, Swarthmore College, and Washington College of Law. In 1907, she went to a training school for Quakers in Woodbridge, England, and remained in England until 1910.

While studying and working as a case worker for a London settlement house, Alice Paul served her apprenticeship for what became her life's vocation: the struggle for women’s rights. She was enlisted by England’s militant suffragists Emmeline and Christobel Pankhurst. Her education as an activist was acquired through a series of arrests, imprisonments, hunger strikes, and forced feedings. She learned how to generate publicity for the cause and how to capitalize on that publicity.

When she returned to the US, Alice Paul enrolled at the University of Pennsylvania and earned her Ph.D. and then launched full force into the American suffrage movement. She was a pivotal force in the passage and ratification in 1920 of the Nineteenth Amendment. She was unremitting in her personal rigid conservatism, but thought women should have the same freedom and rights as men. Shortly before her death in 1977, she said, "I think if we get freedom for women, then they are probably going to do a lot of things that I wish they wouldn’t do. But it seems to me that isn’t our business to say what they should do with it. It is our business to see that they get it."
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat