Paris

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Paris

Postby Proofrdr » 16 Nov 2015, 02:06

Senseless, merciless, meaningless brutality. There are no words.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Paris

Postby FranW » 16 Nov 2015, 06:19

Agreed. I'm still largely in disbelief.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 17 Nov 2015, 06:39

I was to be expected since Charlie Hebdo. Nothing really significant has been made to tackle the extremist groups. Still it was a real carnage.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 17 Nov 2015, 08:25

What makes ISIS so dangerous is the rationale for their existence that is so antithetical to the majority of the rest of the world.

This from an excellent article in The Atlantic
Our ignorance of the Islamic State is in some ways understandable: It is a hermit kingdom; few have gone there and returned. Baghdadi has spoken on camera only once. But his address, and the Islamic State’s countless other propaganda videos and encyclicals, are online, and the caliphate’s supporters have toiled mightily to make their project knowable. We can gather that their state rejects peace as a matter of principle; that it hungers for genocide; that its religious views make it constitutionally incapable of certain types of change, even if that change might ensure its survival; and that it considers itself a harbinger of—and headline player in—the imminent end of the world.

Whole article here.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 19 Nov 2015, 07:52

Oh, yes, we are in a cultural war. They want people to go back to the middle ages. I'm not surprised that they have so much support among young people in western countries. I has become obvious to me in these last months that cult-like behavior is rife in the so-called 'social justice warriors' which like to think themselves as liberals but are in fact, like ISIS, people that are anti-science, misogynist and homophobic.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 20 Nov 2015, 06:32

An interesting article that, while I don't think helps much wrt insight into the mind of a terrorist, is extremely revealing re the mindset of the Republicans who want to ban all Syrians/all Muslims from America.

More than twice as many members of violent Islamist organizations have engineering degrees as have degrees in Islamic studies. Nearly half of those terrorists who had degrees had degrees in engineering. Even if you make extremely generous assumptions, nine times as many terrorists were engineers as you would expect by chance. They find a similar pattern among Islamist terrorists who grew up in the West – fewer of these terrorists had college degrees, but even more of those who had degrees were engineers.

It’s hard to imagine prominent politicians or pundits making frightening sounding warnings about the dangers of letting engineers walk among us. Yet it’s no more ridiculous, given the evidence, than their fearful statements about Syrian refugees.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mon ... 7781822370
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 21 Nov 2015, 01:06

I always suspected engineers weren't to be trusted. ;) It's become a catchall degree (though, of course, there are a gazillion kinds of engineering). Many also go into finance.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to General Chat