Rio 2016

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Rio 2016

Postby ElaineB » 07 Aug 2016, 23:10

Anyone watching?

With my new laptop, I've been able to live stream events you never get to see on TV. Watched some equestrian dressage yesterday (till it put me to sleep). Eventers, so ones who also ride cross country then jump--the triathletes of the horse world. I'm looking forward to the actual dressage event. My only complaint is that HD makes fast movement jumpy, so the extended trot is hard to see. And the cameras are at weird angles. And you can't hear the music (which I only recently learned was added to the sport, so not really missing that).

We also have a better cable TV package, so can see more than swimming, gymnastics, and track and field. Watched some women's field hockey. Sure not the game I played in high school. Like they are playing in a puddle. Strange.

Saw an "up close and personal" story of a U.S. lesbian rugby player where it was more about her comeback from a broken neck and cancer than her sexuality. They calmly interviewed her wife, just like real people! Kind of amazing in a very understated, dare I say normal, way!

But cool to be able to taste different sports.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Rio 2016

Postby Proofrdr » 08 Aug 2016, 10:48

Yes, Athena and I are quadrennial regulars. We watch everything our channels show. It's neat that there's also a lot on the computer this year.

Athena coached high school softball and field hockey for more than 20 years, and taught and coached women's fencing at Rhode Island College for more than a dozen years. She was a ranked fencer in college. So we especially follow those sports.

Field hockey certainly isn't the same as when I played either. Good grief! I'd have collapsed after about 15 minutes at that pace! The differences all stem from what it's played on now. Real grass kept the game slow by comparison.

Athena had to explain about the water to me too. There are 2 kinds of artificial turf—water-based and sand-based. A water-based turf is made of a high density artificial grass that requires wetting before, during, and after a game. It's faster than the sand-based artificial turf, and it's less abrasive, and reduces the intensity of injuries when players come in contact with it. The water also allows the ball to travel faster, to be transferred more quickly—everything is faster than on sand-based surfaces or grass surfaces.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Sacchi » 08 Aug 2016, 16:14

Just watching the nightly TV presentations, paying attention more to the gymnastics than to the swimming.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 08 Aug 2016, 23:23

Right, I remember now you mentioned Athena was a fencer. I'm hoping to catch Ibtihaj Muhammad in about an hour. (Yes, I copied and pasted that name, because there's no way I could remember the spelling).

The gymnastics are amazing (only watched a bit last night and recorded the rest. Of course, the news spoiled any suspense right of the bat this morning, but that's OK. It's still amazing to watch them!).

Did you see Nadia Comaneci in the stands? That was heartbreaking about the failure of the Romanian team to make the event other than one lone gymnast coming out of retirement.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 09 Aug 2016, 00:45

We have coffee with friends at the local Panera's very Monday morning, so we're taping this morning's fencing.

Yesterday's men's foil competition was incredible! Alexander Massialis came back from the precipice of defeat twice to win the gold. Twice he was down by 7 touches and his opponent had only to score 1 touch to win, but somehow, he came back to win. Amazing.

That lone Romanian gymnast was sad. They were once such a powerhouse in the sport, leaders in innovation. Since their revolution and the disruption that followed, however, they have not been as successful.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 09 Aug 2016, 08:12

Sadly we get sod-all coverage. I'd kill to watch the dressage and show jumping!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 09 Aug 2016, 10:46

The dressage was wonderful. The beauty of those horses never fails to mesmerize me.

Fran, have you tried the internet? NBC is live streaming a lot on the Olympic website.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 09 Aug 2016, 22:57

Yeah, but you have to sign in with your service provider. I doubt they cover New Zealand. But they do have recaps. http://www.nbcolympics.com/

The real dressage (as in that's all they do) hasn't started yet.

I've enjoyed the women's rugby and am, of course, rooting for the New Zealand team (when they aren't playing the U.S.). Oh, I see it's over and they lost to Australia. Sorry about that. Do they go by All Blacks as well? They are in black. I haven't figured out the game yet--haven't been able to see a full one. Seems to be short. I thought I had time to eat lunch just before one game started and joined it a half hour later with only five minutes left.

I missed Muhammad. May have been watching the wrong piste. Couldn't for the life of me see the hits. Even in slow motion. What a fast sport!

I have to say, the website is hard to navigate. There's a ton there, and I assume they are doing a good job overall, but I never seem to be able to find what I want easily, even though it seems it should be easy once you go to the sport you want.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 09 Aug 2016, 23:00

Oh, dressage starts at 9 today. And Event jumping is today. I wish I were retired!
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 09 Aug 2016, 23:01

OK, strike that (damn website). On another page it says dressage is tomorrow (Wed.).
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to General Chat