Rio 2016

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: Rio 2016

Postby Proofrdr » 10 Aug 2016, 00:20

The website is horribly organized! We've had the same problems finding things, but Athena is more patient than I with it. The night before, she makes a list of the events we want to see the next day and sets taping other events we want to see that overlap.

I tried watching some of the events on my computer, but the picture jumped so much, I gave up. They are not streaming fast enough It's like watching a B&W movie from the early 1900s.

Women's rugby! I love it. Rugby (for men) was not an official sport when I was in college, but the guys did have what they called a "club" sport with weekly Sunday afternoon games in the fall. It's a rough-and-tumble, crazy game with few rules. I always associated rugby with a muddy grass field. This Olympic field lends a small element of civility to the game.

The rules are quite basic. You run with the ball and can pass it to a teammate, but passes cannot be forward—they must be lateral or back. Once you're tackled, you cannot hang onto the ball; you have to pass it or release it. If the ball is on the ground in front of you towards your goal, you can't pick it up; you have to be beside or behind it facing your opponent's goal. Other than not killing your opponents, those are the basic rules.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 11 Aug 2016, 05:15

I'm sneaking peeks at the dressage, hoping to see the U.S. riders. Can I just say, those horses are huge!
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 11 Aug 2016, 07:30

Poor Mark Todd, his jumper put in a poor showing. He must be gutted.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 11 Aug 2016, 23:23

I missed all the cross country and jumping. Thought they'd have wrap-up video after, but looks like you can only load the live stream, which must be huge because it just spins and spins on my computer.

Trying to find out when Laura Graves will be riding today. No luck. Though Charlotte Dujardin will be at 1:18 pm EDT. I kept the dressage feed in the background at work and checked in periodically. Skipped the gym so I could justify an hour of watching! :)

The benefit of watching the early riders is that the commenters explained more about what they are doing and you see more of the errors, so when the good ones ride, it's amazing.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 12 Aug 2016, 13:05

Figi's Rugby 7 match against England was exciting. Men that big usually can't run that fast. They dominated!

Our women's field hockey game against India was also terrific. I still can't get over the level of play in this year's team compared to 4 years ago. But the best performance of the day was in women's individual all-around gymnastics competition. Little Simon Biles was simply amazing.

Uncomfortably hot and humid here today. I must admit, I vegged out in the AC and watched the Olympics all day. Every once in a while it's necessary to do absolutely nothing constructive or meaningful.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 12 Aug 2016, 22:58

Oh god, yes, the heat and humidity! Thankfully, I work in AC, but at home there is no relief. We have one window conditioner (I stupidly thought we didn't need to bother with the other one this year. Pain in the ass put put in and take out--mashed my finger last year). Now I sit here dripping at 6:30 am when it's 78 degrees outside and 85 in.

We recorded the gymnastics, so haven't seen it yet, but heard the outcome--no way to avoid that. I did catch Laura Graves in dressage, but missed Charlotte (a fluke both ways, really). Caught some judo with Mass.-native Kayla Harrison who won her second gold medal. Really just women in thick PJs grappling on the ground. More Sacchi territory, really. ;)
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 13 Aug 2016, 00:53

ElaineB wrote:Caught some judo with Mass.-native Kayla Harrison who won her second gold medal. Really just women in thick PJs grappling on the ground. More Sacchi territory, really. ;)

rofl Athena and I were both thinking something along that line.

I wrote that post before the swimming events. Michael Phelps is a true phenomenon. He's proved that competitive swimming is not just for the young.

Another hot and humid day for us. The whole Northeast is going into or near the 90s. The heat map for the entire US is in the oranges and reds for high heat. Looks like we are on fire!

We have 2 ACs on the first floor that cool the kitchen and family room. Stupidly, we did not put the AC in our bedroom this year. The heat was oppressive; I gave up at about 2 and came downstairs to the family room. Athena came down a little later. The recliners are comfortable enough. When we were in Arizona for the GCLS, the 100-plus degree temps didn't really bother me. It's the damned humidity that is totally enervating.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 13 Aug 2016, 23:54

Yeah, I feel like I'm melting. We have AC in the bedroom, but I hate it. It's better than nothing though. I feel like a living Post-it Note--all sticky all the time. There's no way to get anything done. I got home early from work and Beth was vegged on the couch watching the Olympics. That woman never watches TV during the day. Thank god we have that to watch, though. Track and field is starting now and I'm not sure I can get into that. I'm a bit burned out--a feast of things to watch. I mean, I'd never heard of Simone Manuel and there she is, the first African American woman to win an individual event in swimming. Mind blowing.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 13 Aug 2016, 23:56

I went back and watched all of Kayla Harrison's matches and with the commentary explaining things--like a pin is not enough, she has to hold her for 20 seconds--it made more sense and was even more mind blowing. I think she's awesome!
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 14 Aug 2016, 13:08

Yes, she is totally awesome! In that final match, I thought she might not make it, but then, all of a sudden, she got her in that leg lock and had one arm immobilized. Match over!

We've watched all the women's fencing. At times like this, I appreciate all those hours I sat through Athena's fencing meets. Unless you fence, or spend hours watching it with someone who knows what the hell is going on, it can be rather boring.

It's so oppressively hot, I haven't wanted to do anything.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat