Rio 2016

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: Rio 2016

Postby ElaineB » 15 Aug 2016, 05:48

When I watched the sabre without commentary, I thought I'd figured things out, but then watching the semifinals, with commentary, I got more confused. The whole right of way thing. How anyone can see the nuances amazes me. But I enjoyed it. Wasn't able to see the entire gold-medal match. Russia against Ukraine. How timely.

We're moving rooms around here--Beth is making what had been her office into a studio for the painting hobby she never had time for when working. We got some stuff done yesterday with a break from the Hs. But today we're hunkered. Bad storms came through last night--loud thunder, but not close to us, thankfully. You guys OK? Earlier some bad ones had gone through R.I.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 15 Aug 2016, 11:59

We had lightning strike a huge oak two blocks from our house. The noise was terrifying! And another bolt struck a church about a half mile from here and caused a pretty bad fire. The winds were fierce! I must admit, though, that the thunderheads were beautiful. Then all hell broke loose.

These storms are just not normal. Give me a good old hurricane that, with a few days' warning, we can easily survive with sensible preparation. There isn't any way to prepare for a lightning strike.

Saber is a little different from epée. Saber touches are made only above the waist and on any part of the jacket, front or back and including the arms. It can be a point-on touch or a slash. Epee touches are only on the lamé—front only, no arms—and the touch must be straight on the tip, no slashing. In either, the fencer who initiates the attack has the right of way to score a touch. If Fencer A has initiated an attack, Fencer B cannot score a touch without first "beating back" the attack. That's a move that parries (pushes) Fencer A's blade out of the way. Once B has done that, she now has the right of way and can continue on to score. That's called a repost. It helps to know what you're looking for in order to see it. Athena will sit here and call the action before the judge does. I can see it a lot of the time, but not when it's lightning fast back and forth.

The last women's soccer game was devastating.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 16 Aug 2016, 23:12

I only saw the replay of the shootout for soccer. Hope Solo needs to grow up.

And in Olympics news the U.S. does not cover, there's this: 'It's because I had my period': swimmer Fu Yuanhui praised for breaking taboo

The link to her "hilarious" interview is worth it. So refreshing.

And, sadly, the racism against Gabby Douglas is disgusting. http://www.espn.com/olympics/summer/gym ... pic-career

"I'd like to march the cyberbullies into shark infested water." (some guy in the ESPN video) Yes.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 17 Aug 2016, 08:25

I saw that about the swimmer at sbs.com—it's an Aussie site and they cover a lot of stuff we'd have to search for on our media. And the harassment of Gabby Douglas is unconscionable. She was a good teammate and did everything she could do to help her teammates. Hope Solo is the one who should have been roundly criticized.

I'm really disappointed in NBC's airing of this Olympics. They have 6 stations covering the events and can't seem to present any of them in full. Half the events aren't shown in real time, and then they're truncated when they are shown. In addition, their online schedule is impossible to follow. And then there are the commentators' sexist comments. Why must they call the women girls while it's never boys, but always men? To his credit, when commentator Rowdy Gaines heard some of his co-workers talking about awesome Katie Ledecky, he said, “Some people say she swims like a man. She doesn’t swim like a man, she swims like Katie Ledecky!”

Athena and I were in Greece for 6 weeks in the summer of 1980, the year the US boycotted the Olympics. The TV coverage was fantastic. They covered all the events, and every night, starting around 10 pm, they showed, in entirety, all the Gold medal performances that were won that day. If you've ever been in Greece in the summer, you know how hot it is during the day, so everyone is up quite late at night and outside. We'd watch TV out on her cousin's balcony, and when something exciting happened, cheers would sound from yards and balconies all around us. Great fun.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 19 Aug 2016, 22:40

And don't get me started on beach volleyball. They might as well be naked. We watched some of the U.S./Brazil match. Beth loves regular volleyball and was ready to criticize this, but she thought it was actually quite interesting and could recognize the skill level needed--on sand!--she just couldn't get past the obvious sexism of it. The guys aren't topless in Speedos, for god's sake.

I've about run out of things to watch. Lucked out catching the end of the dressage freestyle. I thought I remembered watching dressage where they drop stirrups for a bit, even reins, but Googling it seems that it hasn't changed a bit in decades.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 20 Aug 2016, 07:25

Ahh, Athena and I have been ranting about the women's beach volleyball "costume" for a good while. I don't understand why the women don't demand a change.

We enjoy the track and field events and the golf, so we've been watching them. Other than that, we've just been trying to stay comfortable. I can tolerate the heat, but the humidity simply deflates me. I do love winter. :)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 22 Aug 2016, 09:39

Ha! I'm running out of seasons to like. Down to fall, pretty much.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 23 Aug 2016, 00:53

LOL I hear you. I never tolerated the hot humid weather that is pretty much all of summer for us. Autumn is beautiful, but my favorite season now is winter. It's easier to stay warm when it's very cold than it is to stay cool when it's very hot. And it helps being retired—don't have to go out if I don't want to.

I thought the Olympics were quite good this year. We really enjoyed the women's golf. That 19-year old from New Zealand is awesome! It's hard to imagine someone that young being ranked number one in the world, but she proved her abilities in this competition.

All told, I think Rio pulled it off nicely and our American athletes, generally, were praiseworthy. Then there was Ryan Lochte. What an embarrassment—a poster boy for the ugly American of the year! Thank goodness there were enough incidents of good sportsmanship and camaraderie to offset his crass stupidity.

Now back to everyday life and watching the political games.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 24 Aug 2016, 00:02

I used to prefer the heat--you just had to sit still. But that doesn't work anymore. I've never liked being cold--hot flashes come in handy sometimes. And once I retire, I'll be in the "don't have to go out" camp and will be happier with winter. Though now I pretty much can work from home if I have to.

It did seem like Rio pulled off the Olympics. Now I wonder what happens--to the infrastructure, to the debt. They can't have made any money from tickets, given how empty all the venues were (except maybe beach volleyball).

What also amused me was the way the local stations (other than the NBC affiliate) made almost no mention of the games, especially by their sports staff. If it's not baseball, football, basketball, or hockey, they don't touch it. Even with a local angle, like Kayla Harrison or Aly Raisman.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 24 Aug 2016, 07:15

Rio did make $$$ from NBC for exclusive rights to broadcast; that had to offset somewhat the weak attendance. The people who really lost out were all the small businesses and restaurants that prepared for the expanded tourist trade that never came. Hosting the Olympics is becoming cost prohibitive. Maybe they should stop holding games in a different place every time and, instead, have several set places that are re-used.

I have now finished Mary Renault's 3 books about Alexander the Great—Fire from Heaven, The Persian Boy, Funeral Games—and The Last of the Wine about Socrates and the Peloponnesian War. I am now officially done with Ancient Greece for a while. Next stop, Connie Willis's Doomsday Book. I seem to be in a big-book, historical fiction mode.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat