What else can go wrong?

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

What else can go wrong?

Postby FranW » 15 Jan 2017, 23:22

I reckon we need a thread where we can moan about stuff.

This week:
Cracked windshield on car.

Munted dishwasher (repairman's estimate is near what a replacement new one would cost).

Broken e-reader (recharge input thingie is broken). Why? I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF A BOOK, FOR CHRISSAKE!

Called for jury duty (okay, am happy to do my civic duty, but why the FIRST WEEK OF SEMESTER? Why not the week BEFORE teaching starts? sheesh)

Wiillow tree in paddock split in half and fell onto fence/into garden/onto septic tank. Oh boy. We are talking THOUSAND of dollars to sort this. Yes, firewood, but STILL. WHY? WHY NOW?

What a start to the new year. Grrr. :(

Apologies for typos, I can't find my spec so am doing this basically by braillle. At midnight. Because I can't sleep. Obsessing. Also, cats.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: What else can go wrong?

Postby FranW » 15 Jan 2017, 23:23

Also, need new specs. Which will be more $$$$. Grrr.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 16 Jan 2017, 09:18

My wife got the jury duty call. Couldn't be at the closest courthouse. No, it has to be an hour away and she has to be there by 8:30 on a weekday (i.e., traffic-hell) morning. She's moving it to summer, but can't move the location.

But, really, I can't even imagine all that going wrong at once. I've cracked many a windshield, we're still on our first dishwasher so now crossing my fingers, don't have an e-reader so can't empathize there, nor do we have a paddock or a willow tree. :( You have my condolences!

Speaking of willow trees, though, I read Lab Girl by Hope Jahren, which was excellent. She alternates the business of setting up and running labs (she's a geobiologist) at various universities around the country in a pretty hilarious manner with essays on natural history--one of the more fascinating tidbits was about willow trees.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 16 Jan 2017, 09:19

And, actually, I thought this thread would be about Trump, because, really, what else could go wrong there? (Maybe you feel better being around the globe from him? But, sadly, not beyond reach, I'm sure.)
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 19 Jan 2017, 06:54

Oh, Fran, that is way beyond the necessary amount of shit that life must hurl at us in one toss! I hope things have improved since Sunday.

And, Elaine, that's really unfair to require that much travel for jury duty. Do they at least allot travel expenses? We have 3 jurisdictional zones, and you serve in the one you live in. If you're called to Superior Court duty, that's located in the middle of the state and is 20 minutes from the furthest parts of the state. Being ridiculously small has some advantages. ;)

And, okay, I have a bit of a "what else can go wrong" gripe too. Our refrigerator has gone kaput. The motor burned out. We don't know yet the cost of parts and installation, but I can guess it won't be a few hundred dollars. We don't want to buy a new one because we plan on downsizing in 2 to 3 years. I need something on 1 floor.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 19 Jan 2017, 09:46

Add in: flu. First me, then Bakey.

Dishwasher repair estimate: $700. Tree removal estimate: $2000 - $3000. Weather here is also shit -- cold, rain, wind, and it's supposed to be high summer!

I'm trying desperately to ignore Trump, though it's impossible to ignore the Cheeto-faced shitgibbon entirely. Holy crap, his cabinet picks are utterly dire, clueless, and unsuitable. The entire world is watching with mixture of horror, disbelief, and hilarity.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 19 Jan 2017, 13:55

Fran, I'm at the point where I can't stand to watch or listen to him. He makes a mockery of our government and plays the crowd like a snake-oil salesman.

I have been paying attention to the hearings for the cabinet nominees. Mostly atrocious. So far, the only one who seems rational and appropriate for his position is General Mattis for Secretary of Defense. The woman Trump put up for Secretary of Education was before the committee today. She was uninformed and quite blase about the whole process. She is a great proponent of charter schools and private schools—both of which can reject students that require any special attention. Such selectivity makes them look like champs, while the public schools must deal with all levels and, when they are averaged together, the results are usually average rather than the superior results at most private and charter schools. It's easy to win at bridge when you are dealt a hand of face cards.

Basically, I think we're screwed. Hopefully, he will get tired after a few weeks and will quit. Athena thinks someone will shoot him, but that's all we need to have him glorified!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 20 Jan 2017, 01:18

If someone shoots him, then we get President Pence, and our very lesbian lives are at stake.

Re jury duty: we live in a ridiculously large county and it's supposedly random where you go.

And yes, the incoming Education Secretary is an ignoramus.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 21 Jan 2017, 04:15

I really don't think anyone could change the marriage equality laws or the protections we have under the hate-crime laws. We are now too visible and accepted by the vast majority of the population. Besides, enough of us are out and ready to create havoc if there is even hint at trying to put us back in the closet!

Harvey Milk was right when he said that once people realized how many we are—that we are everywhere in every business, church, and school—then we will be accepted. That's happening more and more.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 25 Jan 2017, 06:05

Even the cheeto-faced shitgibbon admitted that same sex marriage is a done deal and there's no going back. Though admittedly he thinks RvWade is NOT a done deal and should be left to states to decide.....ghod that man is so incredibly stupid it's terrifying.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to General Chat