What else can go wrong?

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: What else can go wrong?

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Jan 2017, 04:10

Sadly, he just signed an executive order reinstating the Mexico City policy. That was a little bit of misery created by President Reagan back in the '80s. Basically, it stops federal funding for international family planning charities that provide abortions or give counseling that includes abortion. Many of those charities also provide health services for people who have no other source.

He also wants to stop all government funds to Planned Parenthood because, besides providing health care for women, they also perform abortions. However, not one cent of federal funding to PP is used for abortions. The vast majority of the work PP does is in providing normal health care for women AND men. If Trump succeeds, 2.5 million people will lose access to affordable healthcare.

I really can't fathom the unmitigated arrogance and self-righteousness of people who demand their own personal freedom while denying others theirs.

On a literary note: Since the introduction of alternative facts into the vernacular and its striking similarity to Orwell's newspeak, there has been a tremendous surge in the sale of 1984.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 27 Jan 2017, 01:01

#1 on Amazon.

I thought I had a copy somewhere, but can't find it.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 27 Jan 2017, 05:06

When I first started teaching in 1966, 1984 was the first novel on the 10th grade reading list that I taught. Many of my students, mostly the boys, developed a liking for dystopian novels and chose them for their monthly "outside" reading assignment. I was inundated ad nauseum with book reports on Brave New World, We, Lord of the Flies, Fahrenheit 451, A Clockwork Orangeand A Canticle for Leibowitz (my favorite).

I wonder if those students, now in their late 50s, remember our discussions and worry about how close to that edge we are coming.

On another note, I'm glad to have just heard that President Nieto of Mexico has cancelled his meeting with the trump.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 31 Jan 2017, 06:21

And now he's banned people from returning to the US, to their jobs and families and pets and studies and lives, if they have been out of the country and happen to be a citizen of one of the seven "wrong" countries. I bet if those countries put up a Trump Hotel they'd suddenly be acceptable.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 01 Feb 2017, 06:41

You definitely are on the right track, Fran. The majority of attacks have been by native-born Americans. The worst attack on the US was perpetrated on 9/11 by Saudi Arabians. Trump does business with Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is not on the list.

We are in deep, deep trouble. The Republican majority in Congress has shown no backbone. Yesterday, they approved for Secretary of Education, a woman who is a proponent of private schools and charter schools, and basically, wants to do away with public education. She was unable to answer the simplest of questions, has no knowledge of federal guidelines, and completely flubbed a question about assessment. Basically, there are 2 approaches to assess a child's educational success—proficiency or growth. When asked which she championed, she said:
I think, if I’m understanding your question correctly around proficiency, I would correlate it to competency and mastery, so each student is measured according to the advancements they are making in each subject area.

That described growth, not proficiency. She knew for more than a month that she would be questioned by the Senate committee on education, yet did not prepare herself for the most obvious of questions.

It just gets worse and worse. :scared:
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 05 Feb 2017, 00:34

Is this how the other side felt when Obama was elected? This just seems so much worse. He's blatantly trashing the Constitution.

Why do we have to change governments in the middle of winter? When we're already depressed and vitamin D deficient. :(
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 06 Feb 2017, 02:09

I think the Republicans were disappointed with Obama's presidency, but they had no reason to be this fearful.

The last time there were people marching in the streets all over the country as they are now was the 70s protesting the Viet Nam War. In a way, these marches are heartening. It shows we do care about our rights. At least we haven't lost our right to free expression...yet. If the Democrats can get their act together, with this amount of anger and fear, they could shift the majority in Congress next year.

I have a friend who works in the President's Office at Brown. They're in a real mess with this ban on Muslims. Right now, they have about 1,600 students, faculty, and researchers who will be affected by it. In all of Rhode Island's 11 colleges and universities, that number is just under 5,000. If it's that many in this smallest state, I can't imagine what it is nationally! I have a feeling that there is no discussion in the "if-then-what" mode as Trump & cronies are making these decisions. And his first venture into the war arena was disaster—innocent women and children were killed, a soldier was killed, and one of those billion dollar helicopters was destroyed. And that was what he accomplished at the dinner table. The bastard didn't even have the courtesy of being in the Situation Room to watch what he ordered.

And then, in a Black History Month listening session with prominent Black leaders, the IDIOT congratulates "Frederick Douglas" for the work he's doing. It's Frederick O. Douglas, and he's been dead for over a hundred years! This man does not care enough to study or learn anything. He dismisses knowledge itself.

I don't know what level of Hell we've descended to, but we are deeply in it!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 13 Feb 2017, 07:57

To take this back to the original purpose: Troll, L-J's cat, ended up in catty hospital for a week with lung infection, which then became jaundice, which was diagnosed as liver failure/recommend euthanasia, which became prehepatic intravascular haemolysis when the liver enzyme panel came back normal, which became we-don't-know-what when her complete blood count came back normal, at which point Troll recovered completely, came home, and resumed being her usual demanding self. An expensive exercise in befuddlement, really.

Today we go to the optometrist for eye tests and new glasses for both of us, which will again be a four-figure bill.

I will be asking Bakey to write Fifty Shades of Bankruptcy at this rate.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 14 Feb 2017, 03:37

:yikes: I'm glad Troll is OK though. (Making the font bigger so you don't have to shell out for new glasses.) ;)
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 15 Feb 2017, 01:40

It always scare me when one of our cats gets sick. On the one hand, I'm worried about the cat, and on the other, I'm worried about the cost. It's a given that we'll do what's necessary, but it's knowing there'll be a big bill in the end. Good health to Troll!

Re: eyeglasses. I hear you about the expense, but if you need them, you have to get them. I started needing reading glasses when I was in my early 50s. Then, it seemed, I was needing a new prescription every year as my distance vision kept deteriorating. Seven years ago, that just stopped and my eyesight has remained constant. I'm still wearing those same glasses from 2010. I know that's not going to last, but when I look at the skyrocketing cost, I'm feeling very lucky.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat