They're Only Women

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: They're Only Women

Postby ElaineB » 27 Jan 2016, 23:13

:-)
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 28 Jan 2016, 07:45

FranW wrote:I don't believe "Transwomen are women" is a lie. IMO, gender isn't something I get to choose for another person. If someone tells me they are a woman, then they are a woman, whether they are cis or trans. If someone tells me they are a lesbian, then they are a lesbian to me. If someone tells me they are gender fluid, or asexual, or nongendered, then they are.

Behaviour, however, I will judge: an asshat is an asshat :D

You apparently define gender in a different way I define it, which is a hierarchical system used by males to oppress females. More on my view here.

So 'woman' means nothing to you. It is just something anyone can be just because the person 'feels like one', whatever that means. Anyway, I don't mind people calling whatever they want to call themselves as long as they don't start making political demands based on those IDs that clash with the rights of other oppressed people. Just two examples of consequences of the 'transwomen are women if they say so'. The last rule from the IOC, which will have a major impact in women's (perhaps I should use female since for you a male can be a woman) sport:

Olympic Committee eliminates medical “gender change” requirement for male athletes who want to compete in women’s sports

Sex-Segregated Sports & the New IOC Guidelines

What happened in Toronto when you put into law 'If someone tells me they are a woman, then they are a woman':

Shocking case proves 'Toby's Law' is flawed
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 29 Jan 2016, 12:25

wildlx wrote:So 'woman' means nothing to you.

It means something to me, but possibly not the same thing that it means to you. Certainly the whole world does not define 'woman' in the same way, just as the whole world does not define 'lesbian' in the same way.

I don't think that the actions of one asshat (the man pretending to be a transgender woman so that he could enter a woman's rest room and harrass his victim) represents the behaviour of transwomen in general, just as I don't think that the actions of one asshat (a lesbian dressing up as a man so that she could rape the straight woman she was crushing on without being recognised) represents the behaviour of lesbians (or straight men) in general.

Every law, every rule, every guideline, can and will be broken at some point by an asshat. That doesn't make the law wrong.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 04 Mar 2016, 05:51

A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 04 Mar 2016, 06:16

Ooh, nice. Thanks for the link!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 04 Mar 2016, 11:11

This article from Slate is also excellent and points to the questions of all 4 SCOTUS feminists—Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Kagan, and Breyer.

I don't think this court will revoke Roe v. Wade, either by majority or by a 4 to 4 tie that would make the lower court's decision law.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 06 Mar 2016, 04:09

Yesterday was good day for women at SCOTUS.
Associated Press wrote:The Supreme Court on Friday blocked enforcement of a Louisiana law that could force all but one of the state's abortion clinics to close, a sign that a similar law in Texas also could be in peril.

The justices effectively reversed an order by the federal appeals court in New Orleans that allowed Louisiana to begin enforcing its 2014 clinic regulation law even as it is being challenged in the courts.

The law requires doctors who provide abortions to have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles of the clinic. Hospitals that don't want to become mixed up in abortion politics have refused admitting privileges in the past, leaving many doctors unable to perform abortions legally.

In fact, there is currently just one lone Louisiana women's clinic doctor with such privileges. The vote was 7—1 against the law with Justice Clarence Thomas in opposition. No surprise there. And it's very positive that Justice Kennedy, the usual swing judge, was on board with this decision.

To require hospital-like facilities for a "procedure" is irrational. If it were really necessary, every woman who ever had to have a D&C would have had it done in a hospital. And also specious is the argument that admitting privileges are necessary in case of an emergency. All hospitals have to accept emergency cases, with or without a doctor connected to that hospital.

Hopefully, logic will continue to prevail as these cases arrive at the high court. Interesting to note the states that are fighting this and marriage equality.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 06 Mar 2016, 07:30

Yay!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to General Chat