They're Only Women

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: They're Only Women

Postby ElaineB » 21 Jan 2016, 10:00

That thread was really hard to follow.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 21 Jan 2016, 13:23

It's hard to accept that the English I speak and understand is obsolete, but it's certainly starting to seem so. ;)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 22 Jan 2016, 03:43

I know what you mean!
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 22 Jan 2016, 10:12

FranW wrote:I can see both sides of it. If a woman who happens to be transgendered and also happens to be lesbian goes on a dating site and says 'hey, wanna meet' to someone, a simple yes/no should suffice. And it may well have. But for the someone who was approached to say 'no' and then to continue with 'because you are not a woman' and 'you are trying to pass as lesbian' is just as wrong as the first woman then replying with 'you are a whatever-that-terf-is-thing'.

Actually, I don't agree with what you wrote. I think things are really quite simple if we keep the meaning of words and concepts such as sex, and homosexuality/heterosexuality. Transwomen are not women since women are adult female humans. They are transwomen i.e. males (the trans means something i.e. 'transition' and on the subject this is worth reading since it is transwomen agreeing with what I am saying here http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... ement.html). Since humans don't change sex (just on documents, and only now are people becoming more aware of the problems that causes to women and girls in the case of transwomen), transwomen are still males even with HRT or SRS (if they have it, which is only a minority). Since lesbian means female homosexual, ergo a transwoman can not be a lesbian. So, a transwoman in a lesbian dating site is appropriation. Keeping the meaning of words, a woman in a relationship with a transwoman (female + male) is not a lesbian. She can be straight, bisexual or pansexual.
Last edited by wildlx on 22 Jan 2016, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 22 Jan 2016, 10:17

ElaineB wrote:Obviously, not all trans women are lesbians. As Fran says, just say "not interested." And if they say that, just shut up. It's about being human, not male or female. Lesbians don't have to accept her. Or anyone they are not interested in.

Actually, IMO none are (see above) since they are males. Not interested, generally doesn't work. They press lesbians calling them transphobes, not to mention delusional conversations about their 'female d*cks' which are supposedly different from the male ones...
Here's a comment on that story by a transwoman http://queenthingy.tumblr.com/post/1374 ... ender-myth
And here is Julia Serano trying to shame lesbians for not dating him http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... cisco.html and a video making an ode to his penis

A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 23 Jan 2016, 00:10

Thank you for the clarifications, Wildlx. I totally agree with you.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 23 Jan 2016, 07:34

I disagree, in that I believe a transwoman is a woman, and merits the female pronoun just as a ciswoman does.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 23 Jan 2016, 13:59

wildlx wrote:They press lesbians calling them transphobes, not to mention delusional conversations about their 'female d*cks' which are supposedly different from the male ones...

You say that like they all do it. There are jerks in every segment of society. I don't know what it feels like to be born in the wrong body, but I believe trans women when they say that happened. Given the effects of hormone-disrupting pollutants I think it's entirely possible that we're screwing up all sorts of things.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 24 Jan 2016, 09:53

This is an excellent web series: http://herstoryshow.com/

Warning: It contains positive portrayals of trans women.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 25 Jan 2016, 07:26

Thanks, E!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat