Equality

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Equality

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Mar 2010, 06:18

We often post articles and news items that deal with the LGBTQ struggle towards equality. I thought keeping them in one thread would invite running commentary and would certainly make it easier to reference. Deej agreed, so here it is.
Last edited by Proofrdr on 30 Mar 2010, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Equality

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Mar 2010, 06:18

There is a concerted effort going on in New England to make it the first contiguous block of states to give the right to marry back to gays and lesbians. Already, Massachusetts and Connecticut have the right; Vermont has civil union and is moving toward marriage rights.

A few days ago, an op-ed piece appeared in Maine's Kennebec Journal in favor of the same-sex marriage bill before the state legislature. The author, Gerald E. Talbot of Portland, is a venerable civil rights leader and the first black man to be elected to the Maine legislature.
Talbot wrote:I spoke out very publicly in favor of such rights in 1977 because, as I shared in my floor statement then, I felt fighting discrimination was the most important thing I could do as an elected official. I said then, and I believe now, that any doctrine of superiority is "scientifically false, morally condemnable, socially unjust and dangerous."

Suggesting gay people cannot marry is asserting the false superiority of straight couples over gay couples. Gay and lesbian couples deserve the dignity and respect that comes with marriage.

The entire article can be seen here
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Mar 2010, 06:28

Baker wrote:Great idea, Proof. :OK: Thanks.

And thanks for that post. Do you think the Iowa decision will also help with the efforts in New England?
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Mar 2010, 06:29

Absolutely, Baker! I think that Iowa decision is a very positive result for the cause. The majority opinion clearly expresses the rationale for the decision by dispelling every argument against. I found it interesting that it even addressed the religious argument which was not raised by the plaintiff in its argument against gay marriage.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Mar 2010, 06:29

D'Brassis wrote:Proof,
This is a great idea! It would be nice to have a thread that it's uplifting and positive about our fight for equal rights.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Mar 2010, 06:30

jisun wrote:Great idea, Proof! :-)

D'Brassis wrote:Proof, This is a great idea! It would be nice to have a thread that it's uplifting and positive about our fight for equal rights.

Well, that's assuming the news is good. But let's hope it's good more often than not. :)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Mar 2010, 06:31

wildlx wrote:Excellent idea :-)!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Mar 2010, 06:32

Renée wrote:Thanks for this. Incredibly moving. My partner is from Maine, so that's especially meaningful for me.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Mar 2010, 06:32

I thought you might like it, R :;)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 26 Mar 2010, 06:33

AndiM wrote:Roll on!

Vermont has overridden a veto and legalized gay marriage.

Click it!

These are all important victories, folks. But we still need to work on overturning the federal DOMA, because same-sex couples who are legally married in states like Vermont will not be recognized as married in states that haven't legalized same-sex marriage (obviously, opposite-sex married couples don't have this problem). And federal benefits like social security don't apply to same-sex couples, even if they're legally married in states that recognize same-sex marriage.

Here's some info on DOMA.

That said--what's happening in New England, Iowa, and California (major setback notwithstanding) is a groundswell. I seriously never thought I'd see this in my lifetime and it's pretty cool, though there's still lots of work to be done. Rock on, Vermont!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to General Chat