Memorial Thread

Place to hang-out and chat, and for discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Baker, FranW, ElaineB, PaulaO

Re: Memorial Thread

Postby Baker » 19 Nov 2014, 06:50

Apparently her last words were: “Remember me as a revolutionary communist.”

Will do. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Sacchi » 19 Nov 2014, 14:42

A sad, sad loss. He (She--Minnie Bruce Pratt used "she" in the obituary, but I can't get used to it) was the keynote speaker at Northampton Pride several years ago, vibrant with that revolutionary fervor, but all too soon after that he was getting too ill for public appearances.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 20 Nov 2014, 00:09

I wonder if Minnie Bruce Pratt used it or some too diligent and ignorant-of-the-facts editor changed it.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 20 Nov 2014, 06:16

Nope. From Minnie Bruce Pratt's obituary:

She preferred to use the pronouns she/zie and her/hir for herself, but also said: “I care which pronoun is used, but people have been disrespectful to me with the wrong pronoun and respectful with the right one. It matters whether someone is using the pronoun as a bigot, or if they are trying to demonstrate respect.”

http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainm ... s-has-died
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 20 Nov 2014, 06:41

Hard to argue with that assessment. Zie certainly made a difference to the world.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 21 Nov 2014, 02:48

Yup. However, not all people judge that difference as being all positive as judged by comments of people who identify as butch and also who detransitioned. More on both subjects:
Anonymous asked: It makes me sad that people are fighting over Leslie Feinberg's pronouns (it's an obituary, have some fucking respect) when she explicitly wrote about how female pronouns are important to her transgender identity.

I’m having lots of feelings about Leslie’s death, anon. I don’t know who’s fighting about @#!$&%# pronouns but fwiw, I never heard anyone who knew her use anything but she during the time we shared a milieu in the 90s.

In fact, I seem to recall once being “"she’d," by someone in front of her…and I "corrected" the person but also brushed it off in what I probably hoped was a tough way, saying “I’ve been called worse,”—trying to show I wasn’t misogynistic. (!) I did this because I realized that the more openly misogynistic reaction I wanted to have would not be acceptable to Leslie.

I seem to recall Les encouraging that attitude in some fashion, a phrase or two indicating that there was nothing wrong with being “she,” even if I “wasn’t one myself.” (Sort of the way we want straight women to react when they’re assumed to be lesbians.) This may have been one of the most generous interactions we had, as she and MB generally gave me a wide berth, like I was some kind of contagion.

Despite what can only be described as a confounding level of internal contradiction, and despite leaving a legacy that includes damage alongside more positive contributions, I remember her acknowledging the importance of holding respect for other women on that level, at least.

I have been writing some about my memories of her and her impact on my life, but I don’t know yet if I’ll share this with tumblr.

http://redressalert.tumblr.com/post/103 ... ver-leslie
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 18 Feb 2015, 06:00

LESLEY GORE
1946-2015

Singer-songwriter Leslie Gore passed away yesterday at age 69 from lung cancer. She had lived in her native New York City with her partner of 33 years, Lois Sasson. "She was a wonderful human being — caring, giving, a great feminist, great woman, great human being, great humanitarian," Sasson told The Associated Press.

In 1963, at age 16, Gore had her first hit—"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to"—and launched her career in pop music. She managed to balance her singing career with her education through high school and college. She was a Sarah Lawrence graduate with a degree in British and American literature. It was also at Sarah Lawrence that Gore realized she was a lesbian. Though Gore did not come out as gay until after the heyday of her fame had passed, she says she never concealed it from the people who were close to her: "I just tried to live as normally as humanly possible. But as truthfully as humanly possible." Beginning in 2004, Gore hosted the PBS television series In the Life, which focused on LGBT issues.

You Don't Own Me, one of Gore's top hits became the iconic feminist anthem of the 60s. It was resurrected for the fight for women's reproductive rights in the 80s, and yet again in 2008.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 18 Feb 2015, 06:27

I had no idea she played for our team!
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 18 Feb 2015, 08:37

Yes, she very much did play for our team! Of course, like most of us in the 60s, she was not broadcasting it—she'd have gotten nowhere in the music business had she come out then. I watched her PBS program pretty regularly. It was well done and informative. She was very bright, incisive, and with a good sense of humor.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 18 Feb 2015, 09:39

I also found out only today that she played for our team! Before reading what you wrote, that is :). I've always liked "It's my party"!
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat