Our Authors Their Sales

List of the authors participating on this forum and their books.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Re: Our Authors Their Sales

Postby ElaineB » 31 Oct 2012, 13:43

Forumite: Andain writing as Laura Hardgrave
Title: Captive by the Fog
Description: Novel (68,500 words)
Publisher: Musa Publishing
Availability: October 26, 2012, ebook

Excerpt:
I needed a better look. I headed into the living room and to the front door. To my surprise, the door was wide open and the couch empty. I sprinted out the door and found my father sprawled out on the ground, half of his body on the sidewalk, the other half on the stairs.

“Dad!” I yelled, “What the hell are you doing? What’d you do, fall off the stairs?” I bent down to help him up, and then realized he wasn’t looking in my direction. He was frozen in place, staring directly at the sky. I followed his gaze, and I too, froze. My heart leapt inside my chest, scrambling to escape.

A huge, metallic, disc-shaped object hovered in the foggy darkness above the grass of a nearby park. Round portholes on the sides emitted silver beams of light that screamed soundlessly into the fog. Three large metal beams extended from the base and onto the ground. Landing pads. I didn’t see a door. Yet.

My breath caught in my throat. My vision almost glazed over, and I had an overwhelming desire to run and escape my body and what I was witnessing.
“I—it…c-can’t b-be…It’s…It’s a…UFO…” The words tumbled out of my mouth, rolling over themselves like a rock slide.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Our Authors Their Sales

Postby ElaineB » 11 Nov 2012, 00:04

Forumite: Sacchi
Title: Sergeant Rae
Description: Short Story (2500 words)
Publisher: Cleis Press, in Duty and Desire, edited by Kristina Wright
Availability: November 6, 2012

Excerpt:
Sgt. Rae was so strong she could carry me at a run through gunfire and smoke and exploding mines. Two years later, she’s that strong again. With just one hand she can hold me from getting away, no matter how hard I struggle. Even her voice is enough to stop me at a dead run, so it doesn’t matter that she can’t run any more. And anyway, I’d never want to run away.

I’m smaller, but I’ve got my own kind of muscle, even if it doesn’t show. A mechanic in an armored tank unit has to be strong just to handle the tools you need, and if you’re a woman doing the job you need a whole extra layer of strength. I’m not an army mechanic any more, but I can still use tools; Sgt. Rae isn’t an army Sgt. any more, but she’ll always be in charge. At the town hall where she’s the police and fire department dispatcher, they tell me she’s got the whole place organized like it’s never been before.

In our house, or in the town, I’m supposed to just call her Rae these days, and mostly I remember. I’m just Jenny. In the bedroom, we don’t need names at all, except to wake each other when the bad dreams come, and whisper that everything’s all right now. Or close enough to handle, as long as we’re together.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to Our Authors, Their Books