Movie Talk

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

Re: Movie Talk

Postby Proofrdr » 29 Feb 2016, 05:25

Footnote to my last comment:

Of course, because of the topic, I am decidedly biased. lol
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 04 Mar 2016, 05:44

I liked the last Mad Max, but the movie is more impressive on screen. Also liked the Martian but I can't comment on the adaptation as I haven't read the book.
Carol, as expected, was ignored...

Has anyone seen Grandma?. Not brilliant, but I liked Lily Tomlin who plays a lesbian.

Last edited by wildlx on 23 Mar 2016, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 04 Mar 2016, 06:14

Me and Bakey really need to get ourselves out to the movies one of these days!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 30 Mar 2016, 23:32

We saw Grandma recently. It was pretty good. At first the acting seemed a bit low-budget, but they got better. I think there must have been some scenes cut that explained her teeth-brushing obsession. They show it once (who would want to brush their teeth in a gas station restroom?). Then the ex mentions her teeth. So must have been more of a story there. But overall, it managed to not get sappy. And I was glad she actually went through with the abortion. So many stories find a way for the woman to decide to keep the baby (then we never see the hardships). This treated abortion like it should be--the woman's decision and, while difficult, not the end of the world. Hope I didn't spoil anything, but the whole premise of the movie is to get the money for the procedure.

On another note, we also saw Carol. I have to say, it didn't rock my world. As for Oscar nominations, I think Room was a much better movie (and a brilliant adaptation by Emma Donoghue). I didn't think Rooney Mara brought anything to the role that another actress couldn't (I kept seeing her as an Audrey Hepburn wannabe. And she hardly speaks; to the point that when Carol mentions how nice it is to have someone to talk to, Beth said derisively, "They've hardly spoken to each other."). Cate Blanchett brought fantastic cheekbones. (And when she stood up from the floor in that smooth, one-legged motion, my jaw dropped! lol ). With Carol, the stuff that had to be left out (because you only have two hours) left it feeling rushed. The book, as I recall, had a very languid feel to most of it, but quietly building tension, till you get to their road trip. In the movie, they seem to take off shortly after meeting. And the smoking, for me, became a filler, a sign post that screamed this is a 1950s film! See? Everyone is smoking! Constantly! I don't recall actual movies from the 1950s having that much smoking. It became a distraction because we kept worrying for their health. The photography and screenplay are excellent, fairly faithful to the book (Beth had read it more recently and commented a couple of times when things didn't go as in the book). I couldn't help but notice in the love scene that we see Therese's breasts, but not Carol's (made me think contract negotiations).

To me, Room was much better because they managed to keep it accurate to the book--yes, lots was cut out of their time in Room, but it didn't make the film feel rushed. And they kept it so faithful to the child's point of view. Probably the best film I've seen in a while (since Gravity, maybe).
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 12 Apr 2016, 05:39

Carol or Room. I liked them both, but they're so very different, I can't say that one was more successful for me than the other. I can say that I think they are 2 of the better translations of books to film.

You're too young to remember, Elaine. ;) Everyone smoked in the 50's!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 12 Apr 2016, 09:15

I didn't read Room but I plan to, eventually, see the movie.
I did see in the meanwhile Freeheld, which was OK but didn't exactly rock my world.

The last movie I saw, Eye in the Sky, I found it quite interesting. And, of course, there's the bonus of Helen Mirren.

A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 17 Apr 2016, 23:48

We watched The Danish Girl last night. Have to say I was quite disappointed in the cheesy Hollywood ending and that made me find the real story. Much more complicated and worth knowing. But if you take the movie as it is, disconnected from reality, it's quite entertaining and sumptuously filmed. The character of Gerda, to me, was the real heart of the story. (A well-earned Best Supporting Actress Oscar to Alicia Vikander.) I felt we got her point of view more clearly than Lili's. Gerda runs the gamut of emotions from A to Z while Lili is pretty much stuck at L. Not to take anything away from Lili. Her story is poignant and without Gerda, it'd be even more amazing.

Looking at Gerda's real story, it seems she'd be an excellent candidate for a biopic. But, of course, she's a woman. She's oddly labeled a lesbian in online sources, when she's really bisexual if even that. Why is it that if a woman has so much as one romantic relationship with another woman, she's assumed to be lesbian?

Interestingly, the only mention in the movie to the title refers to Gerda, not Lili.

I well and truly dislike fictionalized stories of real people.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 28 Jul 2016, 21:36

I really recommend a French lesbian movie I saw recently - Summertime/La Belle Saison (2015). It's now solidly on my top ten favorite lesbian movies list.

wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to The Geek Lounge