Earworms

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

Earworms

Postby Baker » 25 Mar 2013, 06:26

Ever have songs stuck in your head?

Apparently, there is something you can do about it:
The best way to stop the phenomenon, sometimes known as earworms, is to solve anagrams, they say. This can force the intrusive music out of your working memory, allowing it to be replaced by other, more amenable, thoughts.

But the researchers warn against trying anything too difficult because this can allow the melodies to wiggle their way back into your consciousness.
Advertisement

For those unwilling to carry around a book of anagrams, a good novel can do the trick.

''The key is to find something that will give the right level of challenge,'' said Ira Hyman, a music psychologist at Western Washington University who conducted the research.

''If you are cognitively engaged, it limits the ability of intrusive songs to enter your head … If you are trying something too hard, then your brain will not be engaged successfully, so that music can come back. You need to find that bit in the middle where there is not much space left in the brain. That will be different for each individual.''

source
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Re: Earworms

Postby wildlx » 25 Mar 2013, 06:38

I hate when that happens. Especially because it tends to be songs I don't like!
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby summerland » 02 Apr 2013, 02:27

I am convinced there is nothing in the world that can get Scandal's "Warrior" out once it's lodged. Because after all, we're all shooting at the walls of heartache. Bang bang.
Peace, love and Eliza Dushku.
summerland
Not much sign of life yet
Not much sign of life yet

Postby Proofrdr » 02 Apr 2013, 03:41

wildlx wrote:I hate when that happens. Especially because it tends to be songs I don't like!

And even if it isn't, it soon becomes one you don't like!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 03 Apr 2013, 00:05

I saw that piece about anagrams and novels. I find it works for the time you are concentrating, but the song comes back. Sometimes days later. I tend to get Adele or Heather Peace stuck in my head--but I really don't mind those! ;)
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 02 Jun 2013, 08:49

I'm going to use this thread, because I have an earworm that has been preying on me for the last 3 or 4 days. Maybe putting it here will help exorcise it.

(BTW I love that the woman is in real armour.)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 02 Jun 2013, 10:32

Oh my goodness, the guy in the video turned round at the end and had one of those straggly bits of hair at the back! Sooo cool in the 80's and so naff now! The style was a variation on the desirable mullet hairstyle I seem to recall.

You've transferred that tune to me Baker. I like OMD anyway.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 03 Jun 2013, 08:16

Sorry, Jo. (Yeah, I have a weakness for OMD, too.)
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 03 Jun 2013, 09:09

It's okay, I knew I would be singing at church today so would end up with a different tunes in my head for the week lol

OMD only lasted a day.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 27 Jun 2013, 09:52

I am not sure growing up in Britain in the 80's translates that well to other countries and ages butthis is a treasure trove of bad taste and catchy pop tunes. I love/d it all!

I've put in in this thread as I am going to bed with Bucks Fizz as an earworm :scared: . You have been warned!
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to The Geek Lounge