3D printers

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

3D printers

Postby FranW » 20 Jun 2013, 07:56

I still haven't quite got my head wrapped around 3D printers, but this is awesome: a man who'd lost some fingers contacted someone who made puppet hands, and they collaborated to make prosthetics, and then they contacted a 3D printer company who helped them out, and they were able to print out a prosthetic hand for a little boy who'd been born without fingers.

They posted the design for Robohand on Thingiverse, a website for sharing digital designs. Anyone can download the plans and — with a 3-D printer and about $150 in parts — make a hand.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/06 ... um=twitter
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: 3D printers

Postby Baker » 20 Jun 2013, 08:30

Extremely cool! :cool:

A new version of Robohand is now available — it's designed to snap together like Legos. Materials for this version will cost just $5.

Amazing.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Selkie » 20 Jun 2013, 11:01

Very :cool:
Make your own opportunities.
Selkie
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Oct 2013, 23:58

My nephew who works for Hasbro Toys has a 3D printer in his office. I think all the departments have them for testing ideas and making prototypes. He's so casual about it. He was showing me a new figure he designed. I asked him if he carved it. "Oh no, I just printed it out." Blows me away how new technology so quickly becomes de rigueur.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 29 Oct 2013, 06:18

What I find cool, Proof, is the way you look into new tech and embrace it, rather than be intimidated by it. Some of our more senior citizens reject and fear innovations. I hope I'm just like you after retirement.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 29 Oct 2013, 06:19

Ditto!
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 29 Oct 2013, 12:02

You make me laugh. :)
I've been a gadget girl all my life and technology has always fascinated me. Anyway, at the rate things are changing now, I have to be alert to the changes and embrace them, or I'll be left in the dust!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to The Geek Lounge