Theatre, Concerts, and such

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

Theatre, Concerts, and such

Postby Baker » 22 Jul 2013, 07:37

We went to a National Theatre Live screening of "The Audience", starring Helen Mirren. Extremely good. Highly recommend it to everyone, though Fran found she missed some of the jokes, references, etc by not knowing much about some of the British PMs.

Mirren was awesome, of course.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Re: Theatre, Concerts, and such

Postby wildlx » 22 Jul 2013, 21:17

I'm envious :).
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 26 Jul 2013, 01:52

We enjoyed it (live), Helen Mirren was excellent. I particularly liked the way the play was a retrospective of the Queen's reign, yet done subtly and actually quite poignantly. It was hilarious too, of course, but it was also the story of all our lives and times.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 26 Jul 2013, 07:21

The humour was terrific, but I also like the device of her talking with the girl Elizabeth. It made me realise that, in her conversations with Churchill, she has a connection with someone who fought in India, Sudan, and the Boer War. Mind you, from the age of the rest of the theatre audience watching it with us, I suspect some of them remembered the Armarda. Every freaking time a new PM would come on the stage, you'd hear a dozen not-whispers of who he/she was. In contrast, I would very discretely whisper "left" or "right" to Fran.

Having seen it live (envy!) you wouldn't have had the gobsmacking spectacle of the woman interviewing the playwright at half time. OMG. She asked him how he knew what the queen and PM said. WTF? She acted as though she thought it was a documentary rather than a work of imaginative fiction. :no: I was waiting for her to ask him how he knew what Old Elizabeth talked to her young self about. :roll:
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Return to The Geek Lounge