Monitor problem

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

Monitor problem

Postby Proofrdr » 09 Sep 2013, 00:26

Quite suddenly, and through no external physical action by cat's paw or my own, a mark has appeared on my monitor. "On" is wrong...it's actually in the screen. I tried removing it with screen cleaner. Didn't work. I tried getting a picture of it with ScreenCapture, but it refuses to be photographed. Here is a poor graphic representation via Paint.

It is that color red, there are just the 3 longer lines, but more short lines more closely packed. It began very tiny, but now is twice that size. The longest line is 11 mm, the width of the bundle 5 mm.

I've had monitors fade or just conk out, but I've never had anything like this happen. I gather it's failing, but I'm curious as to how it's meeting its demise. Does anyone know? Or have an idea?
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Monitor problem

Postby wildlx » 09 Sep 2013, 03:16

A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 09 Sep 2013, 06:03

Thanks for that, Wildlx. I tried to fix it using the adjustments through the screen itself. Didn't work. My computer guy is coming over sometime this week to help me with my e-mail problems. I'll have him check out the monitor too.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 09 Sep 2013, 07:13

That's odd. Let us know what your little man says. I'm curious to know what it is.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 09 Sep 2013, 07:27

How did you know he's little, Baker? I'm down to my shrunken height of 5' 3-3/4" and he's a little shorter than I.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 09 Sep 2013, 07:36

lol It's a turn of phrase, Proof. You "get a little man in to do" things, irrespective of the physical size of said man. Now I'm wondering where the saying came from... (Typical of Proof to slide in some learning experience, even by inference!)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 09 Sep 2013, 07:52

Well, I tried to research it and the best I could get is that is a Britishism. I'm driven by curiosity, Baker, and that always leads to learning something--often nothing of consequence, but usually interesting, and sometimes even useful. ;)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 09 Sep 2013, 08:30

:secret: I suspect you're not alone in that whole curiosity thing in these parts, Proof.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 09 Sep 2013, 09:21

Indeed you're not :).
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 09 Sep 2013, 11:05

Hmmm. Monitor problem .... looks like five parallel claw marks..... Bingo!

No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to The Geek Lounge