At the Museum

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

At the Museum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Oct 2013, 01:38

If any of you took an art history course at university, you know some of the exam questions were to ID artists' works. It was not always an easy task. If only "How to Recognize the Artists of Paintings" were available to me then, I'm sure I would have faced the task with much more confidence. See it here
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: At the Museum

Postby wildlx » 28 Oct 2013, 02:04

lol "If everyone looks like Putin it's van Eyck"
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Oct 2013, 03:27

I know...that tickled me too. I also like the distinction between Breughel and Bosch. lol
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 28 Oct 2013, 03:56

So simple. Sigh.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 28 Oct 2013, 06:33

Proofrdr wrote:I know...that tickled me too. I also like the distinction between Breughel and Bosch. lol

Yes. We have a very famous Bosch in one of Lisbon museums I've never visited :blush: : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triptych_o ... t._Anthony
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 28 Oct 2013, 07:39

lol The Rembrandt one!
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 11 Mar 2014, 02:34

I've just found out that one of the museums I like in Lisbon, the Gulbenkian Museum, has now a virtual tour: http://museu.gulbenkian.pt/Museu/en/Museum/VirtualTour

I should stress that this was a private collection but the museum has pieces ranging from Egyption art to Lalique jewellary. The Gulbenkian modern art collection is in another museum, CAM: http://www.cam.gulbenkian.pt/index.php? ... 2&langId=2
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 11 Mar 2014, 09:03

Oh! Thanks for the links. I've just made myself seasick whizzing around the first one. lol
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 11 Mar 2014, 10:29

:cool: I did enjoy the Gulbenkian, particularly the Lalique collection and furniture. When we visited with you, I remember Sue getting fed up with us at the jewellery point! She is a museum addict but has developed a limited tolerance for jewellery and furniture lol .
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 12 Mar 2014, 02:10

Baker, making you seasick was not in my plans!
Yes, Sue was not at her best museum persona ;).
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to The Geek Lounge