the new possibilities

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

the new possibilities

Postby FranW » 13 Dec 2013, 06:33

This is all stuff that would never have crossed my mind in a zillion years, which just goes to show how little I know about today's technology.
Look at that cute Logitech bluetooth keyboard. There's a lot of space in it, behind the slot the iPad sits in. Presumably that chunk of the case is full of battery, and the small embedded computer that handles the bluetooth stack. Even if it isn't hackable in its own right, what's to stop someone from buying a bunch of bluetooth keyboards and installing a hidden computer in them? Done properly it'll run a keylogger and some sniffing tools to gather data about the device it's connected to. It stays silent until it detects an open wifi network. Then it can hook up and hork up a hairball of personal data—anything you typed on it—at a command and control server. Best do it stealthily: between the hours of 1am and 4am, and in any event not less than an hour after the most recent keypress.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-st ... st-me.html
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: the new possibilities

Postby Baker » 13 Dec 2013, 06:36

Aren't we at the point where this sort of thing doesn't sound paranoid? In fact, I should imagine it's simply pragmatic to assume that any activity online--be it computer or phone--is being collected by someone?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Re: the new possibilities

Postby wildlx » 13 Dec 2013, 07:35

Yup. Big brother is here.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to The Geek Lounge