Subversive Women Artists

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

Subversive Women Artists

Postby Nurse Jo » 17 Jan 2014, 08:50

I wasn't sure where to put this but thought you'd all find this interesting.
Courtesy of The Guardian.

subversive Women Artists
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Subversive Women Artists

Postby ElaineB » 17 Jan 2014, 09:52

:cool:
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 18 Jan 2014, 06:40

Thanks, Jo. As the comments show some of the choices are a bit problematic. Besides women mentioned in the comments, what about Paula Rego? Or Nicole Eisenman?
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 18 Jan 2014, 06:51

I wondered myself why Paula Rego wasn't there and knew you'd mention it! Yes, it's definitely a list that you could argue over.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 18 Jan 2014, 07:33

I'm afraid I don't know most of the woman on that list. :blush: So, thanks for the link, Jo.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 18 Jan 2014, 08:19

Oh, I didn't know them all either. Which made it interesting :-) .
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 18 Jan 2014, 08:53

Very interesting. Gentileschi definitely had an inappropriate surname!

I didn't know any of their work either....except for Georgia O'Keefe. But I do believe I met one of those artists...actually, several times. I was a teaching Associate at Brown University when she was at the Rhode Island School of Design. The 2 institutions sit side by side atop, and sprawling all over, College Hill in Providence. I was teaching MA candidates in the Dept. of Education. My students were teaching enrichment classes to local students. Those classes were like an instructional laboratory for them; my job was to observe, critique, and help them develop their teaching skills.

Often, at the end of the week, my students and I would go to a nearby pub to relax and hash over their week's experiences. The place was frequented by students from both Brown and RISD. I'm sure I met Francesca Woodman there. The time was right, the young woman I met was a photographer, and the person in those self portraits at the Tate site looked immediately familiar. I had just bought a used, medium-format Rolleiflex and had it with me...that started the conversation. She was just a kid. What a shame she didn't live to realize her work is valued.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 18 Jan 2014, 08:58

Proof, when are you going to write an autobiography of your life?! I would buy it without hesitation.
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 18 Jan 2014, 12:21

Jo, an autobiography would require remembering events. Past events like that don't pop into my mind without some trigger. I never would have remembered that meeting without having followed all the links in that article you posted. When I got to Woodman and followed her link to the Tate, I saw the title of one of her pieces "Providence, Rhode Island, 1976." That led me to read about her and look more carefully at her work...the connection came then.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 18 Jan 2014, 12:44

Maybe if you started writing...memories would come back? Truly, you have so much to share. :smooch:
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to The Geek Lounge