For the Language Geeks

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

For the Language Geeks

Postby Proofrdr » 27 Feb 2014, 11:46

I found this today and have been going happy nuts looking through the entries. Any of you who were taught to diagram sentences--a great way to understand the interconnectedness and function of sentence parts--and who learned to love it as I did, well, you'll get a kick out of this too. If that's not your cuppa, just seeing the first sentences of so many great novels is a bit of joy in and of itself. Click on the image to go to the site and then again to enlarge to readability.

Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: For the Language Geeks

Postby wildlx » 27 Feb 2014, 22:21

Do you really teach how to do those diagrams in high school :scared:. I've never learned anything as complex. Looking at the quotes I was caught by the opening sentence of Lolita. Has anyone read it? I've always refused to read it - frankly I'm not interested in a pedophile story or, more to the point, the defense of pedophilia - and I've always wondered why people always seem to forget the main theme of the novel when lauding the book.
Last edited by wildlx on 28 Feb 2014, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 27 Feb 2014, 23:23

We stopped teaching diagramming in the late 60's. In some ways, it's a shame because it helped the student to see the inter-relationship of sentence components. It worked very well for those of us who were required to study Latin for 4 years and were reading Ovid and Cicero and Vergil. It helped our own writing by preventing such errors as misplaced or dangling modifiers and run-on sentences, and it gave us the wherewithal to write compound-complex sentences of great length. It may look scary, but it was a good tool at the time.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 28 Feb 2014, 01:05

I remember doing them in school, but no longer remember how to. I wish I did because, as Proof says, it helps understand how sentences are structured. When I edit, I'm often left saying, well, it isn't right, but I don't know why. lol
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Feb 2014, 04:32

That's exactly how I still use them, Elaine. Diagramming parses out the sentence for me. If I set up the diagram and a word, phrase, or clause has nothing to connect to, then it doesn't belong.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 28 Feb 2014, 06:32

I've never seen anything like it. BTW I can't get your diagram link to work, Proof.

Wild: The closest I came to reading Lolita was being caught bored to death and having only a copy of Lolita in one of those tiny book formats to read. I didn't finish it.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Feb 2014, 08:22

Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 28 Feb 2014, 13:00

Baker wrote:Wild: The closest I came to reading Lolita was being caught bored to death and having only a copy of Lolita in one of those tiny book formats to read. I didn't finish it.

lol Better being bored to death than finishing the book?
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Feb 2014, 13:35

I couldn't finish it either. Disgusting premise and the MC was anything but a sympathetic character.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to The Geek Lounge