Music Suggestions

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

Music Suggestions

Postby wildlx » 25 Mar 2010, 09:03

I started this thread on the other forum and so I am posting again the original first post:

It seems that it is recurrent on this forum people referring some music they like and then everyone afterwards starts providing lists of artists they also like. I thought that instead of providing lists, it would be more useful to make suggestions when you find something interesting music wise and you want to share. The format could be kind of like it is on the book reviews. Of course it has become obvious that music interests here are diverse, but that should not provide an excuse for people not to do recommendations ;).
So I'll start:

Queen Latifah - The Dana Owens Album (2004)
I must confess that I don't like rap, so I've never followed Queen Latifah's career. However she had already caught my attention, both by her acting and singing in the excellent movie Living Out Loud and, more recently, in the musical Chicago, when an American friend referred this CD to me.
One thing that can't be denied is that Queen Latifah (whose real name is Dana Owens) has an excellent voice. Also in this album she delivers great versions of classics such as "California Dreamin'", "Hello Stranger"or "Close Your Eyes" to R & B songs such as "Baby Get Lost". However the best song is without doubt Lush Life which featured also in the Living Out Loud soundtrack. I highly recommend this CD.

If you want a real review go here, where you will also be able to listen to some of the songs.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Music Suggestions

Postby deej » 25 Mar 2010, 09:10

I love Queen Latifah, I think she's very talented.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 25 Mar 2010, 09:37

wildlx wrote:It seems that it is recurrent on this forum people referring some music they like and then everyone afterwards starts providing lists of artists they also like. I thought that instead of providing lists, it would be more useful to make suggestions when you find something interesting music wise and you want to share. The format could be kind of like it is on the book reviews. Of course it has become obvious that music interests here are diverse, but that should not provide an excuse for people not to do recommendations ;).

Great idea. Thanks, Wild. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 06:58

Jess wrote:My pick of the month is Brandie Carlile. She is a Seattle, WA. native. Her voice is a bit raw but that is what I love about her. She likes to record her albums as naturally as possible, so there isn't very much production done to it. All of them get in a room and play. As far as genre...I would say folk/rock/ a hint of country. Pretty broad but it fits. You can hear her at:

http://www.brandicarlile.com/

The page takes a little long to load but it is sooo worth the wait. OH, and she's a lesbian. ;)

Re: Dana Owens...This is my fav. Queen Latifah album!

Jess
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 06:59

Since we are in a phase where a lot of people are reading or will be reading Lady Knight, I would like to recommend an appropriate music while reading the book ;).

Lute Music From John Dowland (1563-1626) - Ronn McFarlane

I don't have much music from the Middle Ages (just a Hildegard de Bingen CD), and the music on this CD does not qualify as such, since the music is from the Renaissance. However I would say that John Dowland's music is quite appropriate to the setting of Lady Knight. You can hear music samples here.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 07:00

Jess wrote:
helsbels wrote:Brandi Carlile gets the thumbs up from me Jess! thanks :-)

Glad to hear it! Her voice catches and pulls on my little heart strings, I'm happy to share. ;)
J
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Jess wrote:
helsbels wrote:Brandi Carlile gets the thumbs up from me Jess! thanks :-)

Glad to hear it! Her voice catches and pulls on my little heart strings, I'm happy to share. ;)
J
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Kimiko wrote:More new music for me Image

Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
Avril Lavigne - Let Go
KT Tunstall - Eye To The Telescope

(I still had a €25 gift certificate lying around; these happened to be in the 3 for €25 category at the shop where I used it.)

Tracy Chapman I discovered a while ago. I'll probably be buying all her CDs over time. Avril Lavigne I wasn't too sure about, be it turns out her music is quite good actually.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 07:01

Kimiko wrote:More new music for me Image

Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
Avril Lavigne - Let Go
KT Tunstall - Eye To The Telescope

(I still had a €25 gift certificate lying around; these happened to be in the 3 for €25 category at the shop where I used it.)

Tracy Chapman I discovered a while ago. I'll probably be buying all her CDs over time. Avril Lavigne I wasn't too sure about, be it turns out her music is quite good actually.

Hey I have those 3 albums :). That is the best CD of Tracy Chapman, the others are not so good (imo). KT Tunstall which is less known is great, I highly recommend her.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 07:01

Baker wrote:
wildlx wrote:Hey I have those 3 albums :).

Do I detect a note of surprise there, wild two? ;)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to The Geek Lounge