Music Suggestions

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

Re: Music Suggestions

Postby Proofrdr » 13 Apr 2013, 08:25

Holy cow! I just clicked on it to listen...that's from the Newport Jazz Festival! That's practically in my backyard. I was there for that performance! I've gone to the Jazz Festival almost every year since it started.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 13 Apr 2013, 09:32

I just stumbled upon this South Korean Air Force wing parody...a must see!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 13 Apr 2013, 10:41

Proofrdr wrote:Now you're talking the "pop" music I grew up with. ;)

lol

Proofrdr wrote:Holy cow! I just clicked on it to listen...that's from the Newport Jazz Festival! That's practically in my backyard. I was there for that performance! I've gone to the Jazz Festival almost every year since it started.

Wow! I wasn't there (I certainly wouldn't mind!) but I have a CD with that concert. I didn't know you were a jazz lover, Proof.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 13 Apr 2013, 11:43

Wildlx, I was a teenager in the 50's. I grew up listening to Dave Brubeck, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Stan Getz...the music was fantastic. It was a fascinating time for music. We still were hearing the big band orchestras and singers, jazz, the old standards from the 40s...and there was also the upstart rock 'n roll.

My high school had sock hops in the gym every other Friday night. We'd all bring 45 records [with our names on them] and we'd dance to the music by the likes of Glen Miller, Benny Goodman, Bing Crosby. But there was also the new music of the Del Vikings, the Platters, Chuck Berry, Elvis, Fats Domino, Bo Didley...it goes on and on. The chaperones allowed us one rock 'n roll song every half hour...the rest was mostly big band.

Radio stations at the time played everything from jazz to old favorites...i.e. WWII music. <g>
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 13 Apr 2013, 13:15

Proofrdr wrote:The chaperones allowed us one rock 'n roll song every half hour...the rest was mostly big band.

How times have changed since rock and roll was kind of subversive music.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 14 Apr 2013, 01:18

At that time, when Elvis Presley was on TV, they wouldn't show him below the waist because he waggled his hips! Now it's acceptable, ala Michael Jackson, for a man to hold onto his junk while he sings. Times do change!

What was most wonderful at that time...at least I think so...was that the top tunes of the day could include songs sung by artists as disparate as Bing Crosby and Little Richard.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 14 Apr 2013, 01:34

Yes, those are quite different styles :).

Since I'm still in a jazz mood, one of my favourite singers, Carmen McRae:
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 14 Apr 2013, 09:18

NOthing to add, but enjoying eavesdropping. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 14 Apr 2013, 11:38

The depth of Wildlx's literary and musical knowledge,her historical and cultural knowledge too, always amazes me.Remember I have seen her music collection and her book shelves. Awesome and wide ranging. Everything from high literature to BSB.

It's why she is always a pleasure to visit because along with an acute intelligence she is very kind. And she puts up with me rambling on! Always a bonus for me as Sue just tells me to shut up when I go on too much but Wildlx listens :-) .
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 15 Apr 2013, 07:18

:blush: Why thank you, Nurse Jo! I must say that however that I don't feel far in knowledge from a lot of people in this forum, including you :).

Baker wrote:NOthing to add, but enjoying eavesdropping. :-)

So you also like jazz (some of it, at least), Baker?

This video was the first time I saw kd lang. :swoon:

wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to The Geek Lounge