Movie Talk

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

Re: Movie Talk

Postby wildlx » 14 May 2015, 19:07

So Blanchett is just one more bisexual who fits the statistical data to what is a long time perception lesbians have:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/06/ ... community/
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 15 May 2015, 03:14

Let's face it, up until just recently, same-sex relationships were a matter of surviving under the radar. I expect bisexuals, either intentionally or unintentionally, might have had an effect on their consideration when choosing a long-term partner. I wonder if, as our acceptance grows, that will change those stats.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby SharonCho » 16 May 2015, 05:24

Having known numerous bisexuals, I think it's sheer statistics that makes bisexuals end up with the opposite sex. Out of three bisexual women and one bisexual man, one woman's with a man, two are with women and the man's with a woman. Just think about it. If you're bisexual and female, you have to go out of your way to meet bis or lesbians, but men are all around you.
"If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all." Hamlet, Wm Shakespeare
SharonCho
A little more activity
A little more activity

Postby Baker » 17 May 2015, 09:10

I suspect you're both right. I think bisexuals get a bump rap from both straights and homos, since it's not uncommon to come across the attitude that bisexuals are really homos who don't want to admit it or can't make up their mind. Let's hope we get to a place where human sexuality is not "supposed" to be one thing or another or immutable. We need to accept the whole continuum, and realise that people can change where they are on it at different stages of their lives. In fact, why don't we stop policing other people's sex lives altogether?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 17 May 2015, 14:05

Here, here to that, Baker! Unfortunately, I don't think it'll happen in our lifetimes. But, we are making some progress. Harvey Milk was correct when he said we have to be visible to be accepted. And that's beginning to happen here.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 17 May 2015, 21:37

Even with social pressure the statistic data are too one sided to be just that, imo.

Anyway, here's the review of Carol: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ma ... an-romance
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 17 May 2015, 23:20

I'm always hesitant about seeing films from books I have thoroughly enjoyed. That review makes me less hesitant in this case.

On another matter: Every time an actress plays a lesbian in a movie, she is asked if she had difficulty with the part, with enacting a love scene with another woman. That is such a feckless question. They are actors. Being able to portray someone that they aren't is the very nature of their craft. I don't recollect that question being asked of Tom Hanks of his part in Philadelphia or of Heath Ledger of his in Brokeback Mountain. Seems a bit of voyeuristic sexism.

Furthermore, these questions are almost NEVER asked of the actors in plays on Broadway. The "theatre" is serious and sacrosanct.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 18 May 2015, 11:31

And the actors doing theatre are also more serious than the ones in the movies ;-)? (I know they overlap sometimes)

Anyway it seems the news of Cate Blanchett were not true: Cate Blanchett: 'I've never had a sexual relationship with a woman'
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby SharonCho » 19 May 2015, 11:05

Proofrdr wrote:They are actors. Being able to portray someone that they aren't is the very nature of their craft.

Unless you're Adam Sandler, or Keanu Reeves (or to throw in a really old name) Hedy Lamarr. lol lol lol
"If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all." Hamlet, Wm Shakespeare
SharonCho
A little more activity
A little more activity

Postby Proofrdr » 20 May 2015, 03:51

Well, you're right about that, except I wouldn't call them actors. They're wannabees. ;)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to The Geek Lounge