Movie Talk

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

Re: Movie Talk

Postby Sacchi » 04 Nov 2015, 14:58

I liked The Martian. Not entirely believable, but closer than most movies, and entertaining.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 04 Nov 2015, 23:17

Yeah. But, actually, most of the science is right as discussed here: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oc ... he-martian
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 22 Dec 2015, 10:53

So, has anyone else seen the latest Star wars movie? We finally have a female heroine with Rey :-). May the force be with her ;).

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/19/1062 ... e-feminist
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 22 Dec 2015, 14:11

We haven't seen it yet. Right now, we borrowed the first 6 movie DVDs from Brian—niece Linda's husband who works at Hasbro Toys where the Star Wars toys are made. He said Daisy Ridley is fantastic as Rey. We're waiting to see it after the school Christmas break is over and the kids are back in school. There won't be crowds at the theater then.

I'm also eager to see The Danish Girl. Even though there is criticism that the film didn't go as far as it could have, they say that Eddie Redmayne's performance is excellent.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 23 Dec 2015, 06:45

Yep, we went to see it two days ago. It was....er....very reminiscent, shall we say, of the original. So derivative, in fact, that they could've just pasted Rei's face over Luke's, rounded off R2D2's butt, and saved a lot of money.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 24 Dec 2015, 06:29

Proofrdr wrote:I'm also eager to see The Danish Girl. Even though there is criticism that the film didn't go as far as it could have, they say that Eddie Redmayne's performance is excellent.

Not particularly interested in that one. However, I am very eager to see Carol but I have no idea when its premiere here will occur.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 28 Feb 2016, 00:30

Did anyone see/discuss Mad Max: Fury Road? I watched it last night because it's up for a Best Picture Oscar (and I had it on the DVR for weeks). I know it got a lot of buzz, and everyone went gaga over Charlize Theron, but I thought it was one of the worst movies ever. It was two hours of road rage with five minutes of story in there. Plus, I couldn't hear any of the dialogue until the quiet part (those five minutes). Best Picture? Really? I fast forwarded through the fighting in the second half, that saved a lot of time. Some things just mystify me. Donald Trump, Mad Max. :dunno:
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 Feb 2016, 08:57

I remember seeing the first Mad Max movie. When was that? Late 70s, early 80s? I generally like dystopian films. That first was okay, but it didn't entice me to see the sequels.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 29 Feb 2016, 04:00

The Martian, which we watched last night, was much better, but I'm glad I read the book. They left so much out! I know they had to, but they took the suspense as well. And they changed the ending! It channeled Gravity and Jessica Chastain is no Sandra Bullock. No idea what was up with that.

Oscars are on tonight. I've only seen a few of the movies nominated, but I'll watch for Chris Rock's opening. That should be interesting.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 29 Feb 2016, 05:24

I hope Carol gets a few. It's one of the best book-to-screenplay adaptations I've seen.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to The Geek Lounge