Opera Interludes

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

Opera Interludes

Postby Baker » 26 Mar 2010, 09:21

Because we simply have to have a place to discuss opera. Must.

I hereby announce this thread well and truly open.

I offer you this as our first video

Lucia Popp - From Her Last Opera Recording "Non Più Di Fiori"

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Re: Opera Interludes

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 11:15

:lol: Indeed we have!
That is a real crush you have on Popp ;-).

Anyway, as asked by Dejay I am going to re-post the old thread.

Baker wrote:Okay, a tad wanky on the title, but I wanted a place where we could post some arias or the like for us to discuss or enjoy. I'd love to hear, for example, different opinions about different versions of particular pieces.

I'll start the ball rolling. For some reason, I've had this aria knocking around in my head for a while.

Conzonetta sull'aria.

Sung by Susanah and the Countess in The Marriage of Figaro, with music by W. A. Mozart.

Gundula Janowitz's countess seems a bit mannered here, though her voice is great. Lucia Popp is ravishing. (What's with the barn-like staging?)

I like the way this one is acted.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 11:16

HH wrote:Oooooh, yes what a great discussion idea!

So, Bakey, who do you think does a better Phantom: Michael Crawford, or Howard McGillin?

I'll post some clips of "Music of the Night" for you later. I know how you love it.

:smooch:
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 11:16

PaulaO wrote:The closest I've ever gotten to an opera was Les Miserables in Philly, 1776 sound track on cassette, Hair....thinking....oh, Sweeney Todd with Angela Landsbury (also on cassette).

But those are probably musicals, right?

I'll stick with singing "OOOOOOOOOOOKlahoma where the blah blah shuffles down the plain" (that's all I know)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 11:18

Baker wrote:

instead of :suicide:
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 11:18

HH wrote:Oh, these snobby opera buffs who refuse to accept light opera or comic opera. Sigh. And yet I married her.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 11:20

wildeny wrote:
Baker wrote:Okay, a tad wanky on the title, but I wanted a place where we could post some arias or the like for us to discuss or enjoy. I'd love to hear, for example, different opinions about different versions of particular pieces.

I'll start the ball rolling. For some reason, I've had this aria knocking around in my head for a while.

Conzonetta sull'aria.

Sung by Susanah and the Countess in The Marriage of Figaro, with music by W. A. Mozart.

This countess is prettier :;) but the tempo is too slow.
Mirella Freni as Sussana
Kiri Te Kanawa as Countess

I only have one CD version, which was also conducted by Böhm (1968). In that version it's not so slow (Janowitz as the countess, Mathis; listen to this). Not seeing the video may be a good idea.

The shot in this version of 2007 Salzburg looks nice. :;) (if we could twisted the story so that Cherubino is in fact a girl)
Diana Damrau as Susanna, Martina Jankova as Cherubino and Dorothea Roeschmann as the Countess, from right.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 11:21

wildeny wrote:Borrowing this thread, I would like to compare two famous songs from Carmen. Sorry. No time to find videos in YouTube Image (besides, below you can listen to audio files with better sound quality)

Version 1: Troyanos, Domingo, Te Kanawa & Solti (1976)
-- this is one of my few opera CDs before 2007. Bought it in 90s. I was very disappointed by this CD but didn't know why until I got Version 3 in 2007.

Version 2: Berganza, Domingo, Cotrubas & Abbado (1978)
-- this version is usually in the recommendation list of this opera. I don't have this CD. A favor from wildlx, thanks.

Version 3: Callas, Gedda, Guiot & Prêtre (1964)

1 - Quand je vous aimerai? (When am I going to love you?)
Version 1
Version 2
Version 3

2 - Près des ramparts de Séville (By the ramparts of Seville)
Version 1
Version 2
Version 3

[My thoughts]
I don't know what you feel about version 1, but Troyanos's voice is not the one I'd have in mind for Carmen. Something in her throat, maybe? Image Well, this CD (highlights only) put me off so much that I seldom listen to it at all. :-( It really gave me a wrong impression about soprano.

It's not until I listened to Callas's Carmen. I could tell that she was singing in French! It's not that I understand French :blush:

Berganza's voice is tender and elegant. In 1964, Callas's voice was not as good as before (prior 1960). But in my mind, Callas is more suitable for Carmen than Berganza. I heard Callas's before Berganza's so I might be partial to Callas, but it's the dramatic effect in Callas's voice that convinced me more.

For instance in #2. Compare this part:
Donc, pour me tenir compagnie, (So, to keep me company,)
j’emmènerai mon amoureux ! (I shall take my lover!)
Mon amoureux...il est au diable : (My lover... he’s gone to the devil:)
je l’ai mis à la por te hier (I showed him the door yesterday.)

Version 2: 0:47--0:59
Version 3: 0:45--0:57

Berganza sang it beautifully, but Callas gave it a little laugh when referring her lover.

So, what kind of Carmen you have in mind? :;)

As for José, Domingo appeared in Version 1 & 2 with two years apart. Check this section in #2 (and take notice on crying for "Carmen"):
Carmen, je suis comme un homme ivre, (Carmen, I’m like a drunken man,)
si je cède, si je me livre, (if I yield, if I give in,)
ta promesse, tu la tiendras, (you’ll keep your promise?)
ah ! si je t’aime, Carmen, tu m’aimeras ? (Ah! if I love you. Carmen, you’ll love me?)

Solti's- 3:31--4:01
Abbado's - 3:23 -- 3:49
Which Domingo interpretation do you like?

Gedda was also quite impressive at singing "Carmen--" (3:23--3:51)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 11:23

Athena wrote:Ohh Carmen, I love it, and you picked the two songs I really like, expecially L'amour est un oiseau rebelle is one of my favourites. I would even say that this is one of the best songs describing love. :-)

Now I'm certainly not an expert on opera voices but it was interesting to hear how three singers would interpretate L'amour est un oiseau rebelle differently.
The first two versions sounded quite similar whereas Callas had a lot of alterations in her voice, sometimes slower and with a deeper voice than the other two examples. I also found Berganza's voice sometimes too quiet especially together with the much louder voices of the background singers.

Thanks Wildeny, that was interesting :)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 26 Mar 2010, 11:24

Conzonetta sull'aria.

Gundula Janowitz's countess seems a bit mannered here, though her voice is great. Lucia Popp is ravishing. (What's with the barn-like staging?)

Why am I not surprised that you've started with Lucia Popp :;)?
I like the version though :-). The one I have is this one:
Elizabeth Schwarzkopf as the Countess and Anna Moffo as Susanna

I like this one a lot:
Dorothea Röschmann as the Countess and Miah Persson as Susanna

Oh and I also have Butterfly by Mirella Freni :).
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to The Geek Lounge