Opera Interludes

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

Re: Opera Interludes

Postby wildlx » 11 Dec 2014, 07:06

Bugger! This next Saturday I am seeing 6 h of Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg :scared:.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 12 Dec 2014, 04:11

We haven't gone to any performances yet this season. Budget is a factor this year. Sirius XM Radio has been broadcasting the opening night performances and, of course, they broadcast from the archives, so I've been listening. I must admit, though, that I'm tiring of Carmen and wouldn't have gone anyway.

Fortitude, Wildlx, fortitude! ;)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 12 Dec 2014, 06:13

lol I don't think anyone in the history of music has ever accused Wagner of being too brief. Happily for us, there's a huge and inexplicable gap in our Met Opera schedule, which means that when Meistersinger airs in March my cast will be long gone and normal service resumed. (Although, I admit that Meistersinger is the Wagner opera I've listened to the least.)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 12 Dec 2014, 10:27

Proofrdr wrote:Fortitude, Wildlx, fortitude! ;)

lol. I'll do my best, Proof!

So what is the music like, Baker? I've never heard that opera.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 13 Dec 2014, 07:35

Wagnerian.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 16 Dec 2014, 08:27

Phew. I survived the six hours of Wagner's Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg ! This is an opera I don't plan seeing again. First act extremelly boring. Second and third act better un musical terms. The last act ends with such a glorification of the Germans that it seemed that the only thing missing at the end of the opera was a projection of Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph des Willens :no:. I liked the singers, with one exception: Johan Botha (Walther), which sang recently Othello, and which was again dazzling in his non-performance :no:. However, Michael Volle (Hans Sachs) was very good and I also liked Annette Dasch.

wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 17 Dec 2014, 06:17

Yeah, this isn't my fave Wagnerian opera, so I'm nodding my head as I read your impressions. Sounds like it was a Triumph des Willens for you to sit through it.

Botha strikes again, huh? Oh, joy. Am so looking forward to that... :hide:
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 18 Dec 2014, 02:37

Yup. He has a good voice but he can't act.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 12 Jan 2015, 08:15

Last weekend I watched Rossini's Il Barbiere di Seviglia which was the replacement opera for the Adams opera. Isabel Leonard sang with proficiency the role of Rosina, Lawrence Brownlee was an average Count Almaviva, and Christopher Maltman was a very good Figaro. I quite liked the staging but I found the production average overall.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 13 Jan 2015, 06:03

Looks worth watching. :-)
Baker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Geek Lounge