Opera Interludes

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

Re: Opera Interludes

Postby wildlx » 14 Jan 2015, 12:31

I'm interested in your opinion re Brownlee. The reviewers were raving about him, but I found that in spite of his good voice his acting lacking.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 19 Jan 2015, 09:10

I'll certainly let you know. In March!
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 23 Jan 2015, 10:13

You're really going to have a late season! I watched The Merry Widow last Saturday. I'd say that it was more a Broadway musical (there's even a chorus line!) than an opera. I was not very impressed with the music. Nice acting overall. As usual I could do without Renée Fleming.

A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 24 Jan 2015, 02:08

Seems like what they did with Rigoletto.

I don't have a solid opinion on that. Sometimes non-traditional staging works, but sometimes it seems forced. The same is true with classic plays.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 25 Jan 2015, 06:55

Yeah, staging can be hit or miss. Rene Fleming, though, seems more miss than hit these days.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 27 Jan 2015, 08:18

Agreed :-). I'm seeing Les Contes d' Hoffman next Saturday.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 09 Mar 2015, 07:01

The Barber of Seville -- Met Live in HD production

I had to look a long way back to see Wild's take on this. I have no idea why the huge break in our schedule. Although, it does mean no hassles for me any more about my stupid foot. Although, irony of ironies, when we bought our tickets we were asked if we could sit one seat displaced, since there was a patron with an injured foot who wanted more room. No probs. It turns out the perosn concerned was a regular opera patron we know as Mutton. She had her foot propped up. Anyway, the ticket seller must've stuffed up because what was supposed to have been one of our seats ended up with this old dear parking herself in it. This meant Mutton didn't have a free seat beside her. To our amazement, Mutton rose and went walking down to meet the theatre manager to complain that those people (us!) must be in the wrong seats. (When she got up and seemed to walk fine, I whispered to Fran: "Miracle!")

The performance. I concur with Wild. Isabel Leonard's Rosina was bubbly and well sung. Christopher Maltman's Figaro was very good in all departments. Lawrence Brownlee was pretty average as Count Almaviva. He seemed to take a while to warm to the role. Happily (or not) since the opera is so prodigiously long for what is precious little content, he had ample time to loosen into his role.

My god, if ever a composer and libretttist needed a ruthless editor, this is that time. There was a mime role of a funny old servant. The only word he got to say in the whole opera was "basta!" You and me, both, buddy. Basta, basta, basta. Christ on a hemidemisemiquaver but this opera goes on. And on. And on. You could lose an hour or more for no loss of any plot element but gain the real possibility that at least half your audience doesn't doze off.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 13 Mar 2015, 05:44

I've been meaning to post this and forgetting to do it. I've watched Offenbach's Les Contes d'Hoffmann about a month ago. Vittorio Grigolo had the main role and I quite liked both his acting and singing. Kate Lindsey was, as usual, very good. Erin Morley played Olympia and was not that exciting at the famous Flower Song aria. I've seen much better. Hibla Gerzmava was impressive as Antonia/Stella and I quite liked the whole Act II. Christine Rice (Giulietta) voice was not my cup of tea. The staging was good. Overall a good night at the opera.

I missed the next show which was the double Tchaikovsky’s Iolanta /Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle. My friends liked the first opera a lot.

I'm very excited because next Saturday I'll watch La Donna del Lago with Joyce diDonato :).
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 14 Mar 2015, 07:34

I love Hoffman, so am really looking forward to seeing this production. Thanks for the info!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 14 Mar 2015, 07:43

wildlx wrote:Kate Lindsey was, as usual, very good.

She must've improved. When we saw Hoffman, she was the weak link in the cast and Fran and I groaned when we saw she was about the only singer in the present production who was in the one we saw.
Baker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Geek Lounge