Opera Interludes

Hangout for those interested in geeky matters: science, music, movies, techie stuff and anything related.

Moderator: Baker

Re: Opera Interludes

Postby Baker » 23 Mar 2015, 06:51

Well, crap. We totally forgot we had an opera yesterday until 30 minutes after its scheduled start. Now we don't have another until May! To be honest, neither of us is crying much over missing Meistersinger, since Johan Botha is not exactly our fave tenor and Wild did not give the opera a rave review.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 23 Mar 2015, 07:52

Bugger.

I forgot to post about last weekend opera. I'd say it's the one I liked the most so far. What's not to like in an opera where the mezzo gets the mezzo ;). Now seriously, I watched Rossini's La Donna del Lago for the first time. Joyce DiDonato and Juan Diego Flórez were the stars and as usual they sang very well, especially DiDonato. We also had Daniela Barcellona (Malcolm) and John Osborn as Rodrigo and both were pleasant surprises at acting and singing. One of my friends was very excited with Barcellona, but I confess I had some problems with the timbre of her voice. The staging was not particularly impressive and a friend of mine even joked that it seemed a poor production for the Met. The music was pleasant, with some very nice arias in act II and also a very difficult aria sang by Barcellona in Act I.

Here's Florez and DiDonato in Act I

The trio from Act II

To get a glimpse of Barcellona here's she with DiDonato on another production of La donna del lago

Last edited by wildlx on 24 Mar 2015, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 24 Mar 2015, 06:42

wildlx wrote:What's not to like in a opera where the mezzo gets the mezzo ;).

Indeed! Looking forward to this one.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 04 Oct 2015, 11:41

My Met HD season started today with Verdi's Il trovatore. Actually it didn't start very well as the sound was full of interferences in the first 5 min-10 min of the opera. However after things stabilized and there was only a glitch in the final act.
I didn't know the opera with the exception of one of the chorus arias, and I quite enjoyed the music which has very beautiful and difficult arias. Great singing also, especially by Anna Netrebko (Leonora) and the impressive South Korean tenor Youghoon Lee (Manrico). However, the mezzo Dolora Zajick as Azucena, and the baritone Dmitri Hvorostovsky as the Count di Luna were also very good. Hvorostovsky is in the middle of treatments due to a brain tumour and had quite a big support from the public. A great start for the opera season.

Here's Netrebko in the last act:

And here is Lee:

A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 05 Oct 2015, 07:35

Oh, I'd lost track of the season. Last year we crashed and burned on the Met Live.

Il Trovatore has to have one of the most idiotic, nonsensical plots in opera--and that is a bloody high bar!

When I saw this live in NZ, they did the anvil chorus in maori style, and it was terrific. Though, of course, we didn't have the calibre of cast you saw, Wild!
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 05 Oct 2015, 19:59

Yes, the plot is terrible. But then again that happens with most operas. The anvil chorus was the only aria I was familiar with since it was used in a beer advertisement for years here.
You're going to miss this season, Baker?
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 06 Oct 2015, 08:12

Don't know.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 04 Nov 2015, 10:27

Wagner's Tannhäuser, conducted by Levine with Johan Botha as Tannhäuser (:puke:), Michelle deYoung as Venus, Eva-Maria Westbroek as Elizabeth, and Peter Mattei as Wolfram.
Liked the music which has some very beautiful arias, especially the ones sung by deYoung (Act I) and Westbroek. Silly plot, very religious (catholic), which surprised me in a Wagner opera. Opera was well sung and I particularly liked deYoung. Botha is a terrible actor (a singing stick quoting one of my friends) and Westbroek is also not brilliant and so the opera suffered from that.

Mattei in the Act III

wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to The Geek Lounge