Reading Challenge 2012 Other than Lesbian Fiction

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Reading Challenge 2012 Other than Lesbian Fiction

Postby deej » 11 Jan 2012, 00:53

Okay Ladies - a couple new formats for 2012. First we're going to have two challenges and you can choose or not to participate in either one or both, your choice.

This challenge is for Other than Lesbian Fiction - What books moved you that you want to share and discuss? You have two weeks till the end of January to get your suggestions in - then we'll pick the winners and order and we'll give the readers three weeks to get the book and discuss it. Baker will be heading up this Challenge.
rofl I just volunteered her.

Hopefully we can make this a great 2012 Challenge

Suggestions so far:

What it is Like to Go to War by Karl Marlantes
Thinking Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Five by Doris Lessing
The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch
Annabel by Kathleen Winter
Venice by Jan Morris
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Reading Challenge 2012 Other than Lesbian Fiction

Postby Baker » 11 Jan 2012, 06:42

So, since I have been volunteered, let's get this underway. I'd like some suggestions. Since Elaine is organising a challenge for lesbian fiction, this challenge will concentrate on other types of reading.

Since these challenges were born of the idea of challenging ourselves to read something out of our comfort zones, why not take this chance to suggest a book you might not normally add to your to-read pile. Let's take the challenge of reading it together and get other people commenting and discussing the same book.

I'm thinking fiction or non-fiction. (No, I won't suggest any economics books.)
I think it's important to bear in mind that this ought to be a fun experience, so don't feel any onus to actually slog through a book you start and find is really not your cuppa. But it would be cool if you could find something to read that you enjoy that you wouldn't ordinarily read.

So, be daring. Think outside your normal reading boundaries. Get adventurous. Get playful. Get thinking about some books.

Remember, too, you don't have to attempt every book we decide to read.

And, no, you're not expected to write up a lengthy analysis of the book afterwards. In fact, discussions can be sparked by questions like: "WTF was character X doing on page 143?" or "Has anyone figured out why character Y would actually want to do Action Z?"
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 11 Jan 2012, 09:53

I shall think and get back to you on this :tap:
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Lt Sue » 11 Jan 2012, 23:44

Okay - I'll nominate something with a military theme - What it is Like to Go to War by Karl Marlantes
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating

Postby Baker » 12 Jan 2012, 06:28

Thanks, Sue. :-)

One I can think of is:

Reminder: the challenge list is determined by what we agree to, so throw in whatever suggestions you like. We won't necessarily be reading everything.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby grewgirl » 12 Jan 2012, 06:39

Someone I know is reading Thinking Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman. Kahneman is a Nobel Prize winner (Economic Sciences) with a background in Psychology. I was thinking that I'd add it to my pile this year.
"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Bernard Baruch
grewgirl
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby Baker » 12 Jan 2012, 11:22

Might as well toss it into the ring here. :-)

I know I left a space in my previous post, it was because the book I mentioned was actually lesbian. Oops.

Deej has stuck me here, because I know full well that my reading choices are not exactly mainstream or likely to ignite any feverish excitement. Help me out, ladies. What would you like to read at the same time as others. Either misery loves company, or you need the impetus of a group to get you to open it, or that book that keeps getting overlooked in your to-read pile.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Lt Sue » 12 Jan 2012, 17:47

How about a travel book?
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue

Postby wildlx » 12 Jan 2012, 22:04

I'll suggest a book that has been forever in my to read pile: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 13 Jan 2012, 06:48

Thanks, Wild. :-)

I'll edit the first post (Deej's) and include the list of suggestions.
Baker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Reading Challenges