the Darkglass Mountain series (S Douglass)

This contains reviews written by members and a list of books we've reviewed. Please read the guidelines before posting anything in this section.

the Darkglass Mountain series (S Douglass)

Postby FranW » 16 Mar 2014, 09:32

Darkglass Mountain
Author: Sara Douglass
Publisher: Harper Voyager
The Serpent Bride (2007)
The Twisted Citadel (2008)
The Infinity Gate (2009)

Big epic ye-olde fantasy. Big, as in huge. Each book is 600+ pages. The author has endless imagination, her prose is good, and her main storylines engaging. But....for me, it was overload. Way too many plotlines, many of which ended up going nowhere. Way too may POV characters, many of whom just died and were never mentioned again by anyone when they got past their use-by date in the plot. Way too many unnecessary scenes. Most of the characters are male. All of the characters are heterosexual. There are only a handful of female MCs. All of the baddies are redeemed by love; if they don't find love, they end up unredeemed. All of the MCs are complex, but in a way that renders them largely unlikeable. It ends with the reader knowing that there will be more books, as the Heroine and the Antagonist are both pregnant with the Hero's babies, and so it's obvious where this is going. The fact that I read all 2000 pages (no, not exaggerating) tells me that this author is doing something right, but for me it was all just too much, and I don't see myself looking for the sequels.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: the Darkglass Mountain series (S Douglass)

Postby Baker » 17 Mar 2014, 06:28

FranW wrote:It ends with the reader knowing that there will be more books

After 2000 pages? Oh, god, no.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 17 Mar 2014, 10:51

lol
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 17 Mar 2014, 12:42

Baker, you live with her. Didn't you notice she was gone for a while? :snigger:
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to Publicly Accessible Book Reviews