Review: Starting from Scratch by Georgia Beers

This contains reviews written by members and a list of books we've reviewed. Please read the guidelines before posting anything in this section.

Review: Starting from Scratch by Georgia Beers

Postby ElaineB » 08 Jan 2012, 06:47

Starting from Scratch
Author: Georgia Beers
Brisk Press, 2010
Overall: 4stars

I was also looking forward to more Georgia Beers after her story in Outsiders, which blew me away. This is fun and well written while also being touching and poignant.

Avery King is a thirty-something, single, graphic designer living in Rochester, N.Y. Like most thirty-something lesbians, she has an ex, close friends, and a pet, in her case a dog named Stephen King, or Steve. She has a crush on the “smoking hot” local bank manager, Elena Walker. She thinks she hates kids, until she has to coach a tee-ball team of five- and six-year-olds. She loves to bake and to visit with her grandmother, the woman who raised her after her mother abandoned her, and the only family she has. Things move along swimmingly—until her best friend posts a profile of her on a lesbian dating site.

There’s not much to complain about. There could be more of the ex, more time devoted to things going horribly wrong, which you know they will, but seems to take forever to get to. The sex is smoking hot without being clinical, so take a look, writers, at how a sex scene (or several!) can be done well.

There are some laugh-out-loud as well as tissue moments. Not deep but worth the $15.95 plush shipping. It could have been deeper. If Georgia ever wants to write really compelling literary fiction, I've no doubt she could pull it off. She makes this look easy.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Review: Starting from Scratch by Georgia Beers

Postby deej » 08 Jan 2012, 06:50

I enjoyed that book as well. Have you read her older ones? I recommend and can lend them to you? :-
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 08 Jan 2012, 08:46

I have Fresh Tracks, but haven't read it yet. She's someone whose books I'm happy to buy, though, and have in my collection.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 08 Jan 2012, 20:53

Not read the book but the cover font bothers me. No matter how I squint, I see "Sterting frem Scretch". In real life, is it that screwed up?
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 09 Jan 2012, 03:57

Well, now that you mention it, yeah, it does look like that, but not at full size.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 13 Jan 2012, 07:19

I agree with you about this book...and about her piece in Outsiders. I think she probably stays with romance because she has a very large following who expect traditional romance from her. Too bad, because she could do some really spectacular work in other genres.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 13 Jan 2012, 07:28

I hope she tries it some day. Just because you write in one genre, doesn't mean you can't do another. She could blow the covers off a book. Maybe write as G. Beers. ;)
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to Publicly Accessible Book Reviews