Review: The Scarpetta Factor by Patricia Cornwell

This contains reviews written by members and a list of books we've reviewed. Please read the guidelines before posting anything in this section.

Review: The Scarpetta Factor by Patricia Cornwell

Postby ElaineB » 08 Jan 2012, 09:56

The Scarpetta Factor
Author: Patricia Cornwell
Berkley; Reprint edition, 2010

Overall: 3stars

Blurb: Forensic expert Kay Scarpetta is surrounded by familiar faces, yet traveling down the unfamiliar road of fame. A CNN producer wants her to launch a TV show called The Scarpetta Factor. But the glare of the spotlight could make Kay a target for the very killers she would put behind bars...

I've been a pretty loyal Scarpetta fan, which has been a considerable challenge. She jumped the shark many books ago and I was about to give up, but then Cornwell came out and the next book, Scarpetta, seemed to bode a deeper, more emotional Scarpetta--or, better yet, Lucy Farinelli. Cornwell used to be able to surprise and please me--the first time she didn't catch the bad guy at the end of the book, I was thrilled. When she killed off a main character, I was impressed. But now she just can't seem to pull it off. The book is OK by her standards. Scarpetta, not sure what her title is these days--freelancing as a medical examiner for NYC, guesting on CNN shows--works a crime scene per usual. But it's always the characters I find more interesting--well, actually, Lucy. Last book she gave Lucy some happiness that seemed threatened in this book. Sadly, Cornwell take emotions only to a certain point, then she pulls back. Call it emotus interruptus. It's annoying. Many books ago, Lucy had a serious physical ailment that has been ignored since. Here she thrashes her way to the edge of a personal precipice and we don't see how it resolves, just that it does.

Anyway, I give her one more book, then I might well give up. Really. No, I mean it.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to Publicly Accessible Book Reviews