Review: Silver Moon by Catherine Lundoff

This contains reviews written by members and a list of books we've reviewed. Please read the guidelines before posting anything in this section.

Review: Silver Moon by Catherine Lundoff

Postby tanager » 15 Aug 2013, 01:09

I bought and read "Silver Moon (A Women of Wolf's Point Novel)" by Catherine Lundoff on impulse. I knew nothing about the author or the story, but I really liked the idea of the novel. In the story, the magic around a small mountain town causes women "of a certain age" to become werewolves in conjunction with the onset of menopause. I was expecting a pleasant, fun story.

Recently divorced, Becca begins to not only get hot flashes, but also strange physical transformations as the full moon waxes. Also, she begins to develop a strange attraction to her neighbor, Erin. Becca soon reluctantly discovers that she, Erin, and a pack of post menopausal women are werewolves bound to protect the town. Unfortunately, there is a new group in town who are out to eliminate the wolf population. And so, the story unfolds...

The tale is fun and there is a bit of humor that will make you laugh out loud. Many times I could see the book as a movie in my head - it had a kind of "Calendar Girls" vibe. The story was a quick read. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy it as much as I had hoped. I felt that the plot kind of dragged you along throwing in elements that seemed a little contrived as needed. In one scene, Becca sees a white van which, oddly, seems suspicious for no other apparent reason than it is being driven by the characters which we soon learn to be the antagonists. In another, an unknown, kind-of-generic, and somewhat confusing magical ritual occurs.

I guess that I was hoping that I would be floored by the tale. I was hoping for something more sexy, more outrageous, perhaps. Unfortunately, I felt as though the story came off more like the main character - impulsive, uncertain, perhaps slightly addled.

My favorite scenes were when Becca was a wolf. I liked that she was struggling with not eating innocent bystanders. I believe that there was a deeper message about menopause and how society treats a natural event with some degree of taboo - attempting to "cure" it. There is the suggestion that this should not be an isolating event, but rather addressed within your own pack. So, that is kind of cool.

Overall, the story is fine, fun, pleasant enough. If I read more by Catherine Lundoff, I believe that I will investigate some of the erotica projects that she has been involved with.

How this book ranks among the last five I have read:
1. The Handmaid's Tale - Margeret Atwood
2. The Shining Girls - Lauren Buekes
3. The Gunfighter and the Gear-Head - Cassandra Duffy
4. Chained Convict For Life - JG Leathers
5. Silver Moon - Catherine Lundoff

Thanks for reading!
-tl

Next up: Some potentially awful erotica. (Because someone has to make that sacrifice, you know.)
tanager
Not much sign of life yet

Re: Review: Silver Moon by Catherine Lundoff

Postby Baker » 16 Aug 2013, 06:49

tanager wrote:I really liked the idea of the novel. In the story, the magic around a small mountain town causes women "of a certain age" to become werewolves in conjunction with the onset of menopause.

That does sound like a cool premise. But it sounds like the execution was fairly uneven. Mind you, do you think your expectations might have been a smidge high considering what you have just read? There aren't many whose work can stand close to Atwood's.

tanager wrote:Next up: Some potentially awful erotica. (Because someone has to make that sacrifice, you know.)

Oh, that should be interesting. I'll stock up on popcorn.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby tanager » 18 Aug 2013, 00:43

Baker wrote:That does sound like a cool premise. But it sounds like the execution was fairly uneven. Mind you, do you think your expectations might have been a smidge high considering what you have just read? There aren't many whose work can stand close to Atwood's.

I was worried about "Atwood effect" as well. My review very well may have been tainted by context. I read somewhere recently that the best reviewers are able to remove "the personal and the emotional out of the equation". I try to, but I don't think that I succeed. I am not formally educated in liberal arts. (I have always respected them, but I love them much more now.) I have difficulty analyzing what I read - (especially, noting allusions to other works). Of course, that does stop me from trying to make up some wild shit. I try to be honest and constructively point out what worked and did not in a story - for me - as a common reader who likes to be entertained. I hope that I do not offend anyone with my reviews. I like to think about what works and what does not work. I wonder what aspects are universally appreciated and which are individual preferences. Feel free to let me know if I am being unfair in any way.

After I wrote the review, I started thinking that perhaps this book is only the first of several. I could foresee a sequel that would delve further into the aspects that I liked.

Baker wrote:Oh, that should be interesting. I'll stock up on popcorn.

I'm nervous about this now that I have read the story.I don't know if I can do it. With erotica it seems, content trumps quality. Sometimes I find that I like content that is totally against everything that I stand for in real life. I'm having a bit of an internal battle about that at the moment. Fantasy is just that after all, right - just fantasy. And we are so much more than our fantasies. But, do I have the words to convey such a complexity without painting myself as so rigidly deviant?

Sorry for rambling on...
tanager

Postby Sacchi » 18 Aug 2013, 03:38

Catherine Lundoff is working on the sequel to Silver Moon, and plans on more.

I know erotica gets a bad rap. Sometimes I think of it a a variation on slut-shaming. But as with any genre, there's a wide range. Just because a story contains explicit sex with a positive slant doesn't preclude also having complexity, good characterization, and skillful writing.

Of course, as with Atwood's rather conflicted views on science fiction, there are those who think that if it's good, it isn't erotica after all.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 18 Aug 2013, 08:56

Sacch, of course, is right about erotica and the complex relationship readers/society has towards it.

tanager wrote:I try to be honest and constructively point out what worked and did not in a story - for me - as a common reader who likes to be entertained. I hope that I do not offend anyone with my reviews. I like to think about what works and what does not work. I wonder what aspects are universally appreciated and which are individual preferences. Feel free to let me know if I am being unfair in any way.

As far as I'm concerned this is the best possible approach anyone could have to writing a review. Be honest and say what works and didn't work for you. FWIW I really like your reviews. I hope you write more.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Sacchi » 18 Aug 2013, 10:01

I enjoy your reviews, too, and giving your own reactions is the right thing to do. I hope I didn't seem to be scolding. I just have rather a chip on my shoulder on the subject of erotica, probably because I do know that much of it deserves its bad rap.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to Publicly Accessible Book Reviews