Review: Cage the Darlings by Elora Bishop

This contains reviews written by members and a list of books we've reviewed. Please read the guidelines before posting anything in this section.

Review: Cage the Darlings by Elora Bishop

Postby tanager » 23 Aug 2013, 00:47

“Oh, moon and stars, it was delicious.” Thus narrated the heroine (named Envy) of the book Cage the Darlings by Elora Bishop just after her growing infatuation with the novel’s romantic interest (Merle) blossomed into something more. And indeed, at that point of my reading of the story, I felt exactly the same way!

Envy is a moderately successful thief in this medieval-like-setting fantasy novel filled with magic, curses, and odd topography. So, she gets busted for her thieving ways and banished to a remote tower within which she is meant to expire. As she is building her courage to leap from a high window (instead of dying of dehydration), she suddenly hears a woman’s voice from the darkness. The voice, which most certainly must be from a ghost, pleads her to have faith. Envy steps back from that ledge (my friend!) and finds food and water the next morning. And, from here... well, the excitement grows.

Wow! I really liked this novel. Even after the first page, I was excited and filled with joy because the personality of the narrator is so charming. I knew that I was going to love the story. The growth of the relationship between Envy and Merle which dominates the first half of the novel is wonderfully paced, and, as I said, utterly delicious. The second half erupts into nail-biting action that makes you keep flipping pages (virtually, perhaps) all the way to the end.

Sure! The book has flaws. I felt that the second half was far too rushed. Perhaps that was intentional as the heroine spent most of the time galloping across a winter landscape on a particularly macabre beast. I felt I was being dragged along behind screaming, “Slow down!” While the set pieces and characters were interesting, the plot, while utterly satisfying, did not leave me overly astounded, in fact, I almost felt that some of the set pieces were wasted. No big deal! I look forward to reading more from Elora Bishop!

By the way, Elora Bishop is Sarah Diemer and, between the two of herself, they are very prolific.

How this book ranks among the last five I have read:
1. The Handmaid's Tale - Margeret Atwood
2. Cage the Darlings - Elora Bishop
3. The Gunfighter and the Gear-Head - Cassandra Duffy
4. Oh Claire! - Giulia Napoli
5. Silver Moon - Catherine Lundoff

Thanks for reading!
-tl

Note: This was not the erotica that I promised. I did read some, but it turned out to be mostly hetero... so, perhaps off topic. Currently, I am reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro which I don't think is topical either. So, it may be a couple of weeks before my next review, unless there is a different thread for books-in-general.
tanager
Not much sign of life yet
Not much sign of life yet

Re: Review: Cage the Darlings by Elora Bishop

Postby Proofrdr » 23 Aug 2013, 05:48

I don't know about others here, but I don't mind reviews of books that don't have lesbian content. Especially if they're good.

At least half of my reading isn't lesbian centric. Right now I'm feeding my penchant for old mysteries written in the late 1800s to the late 1920s. Just finished some early Agatha Christie--the Tuppence and Tommy mysteries. Right now, I'm reading the translated works of Augusta Groner. Her sleuth is Josef Mueller, a secret service detective of the Imperial Austrian police. He is the direct opposite of Sherlock Holmes in everything but his observational powers and deductive reasoning. I appreciate the attention to detail and the compound-complex sentences are comforting. ;)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 23 Aug 2013, 06:24

Proofrdr wrote:I don't know about others here, but I don't mind reviews of books that don't have lesbian content. Especially if they're good.

Count me in, too. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 24 Aug 2013, 06:00

Absolutely, please do feel free to post reviews of any books, fiction/non-fiction/lesfic/anything really!
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 24 Aug 2013, 07:01

What Proof, Baker and Nurse Jo said!
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 24 Aug 2013, 08:31

Ditto!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to Publicly Accessible Book Reviews