eBooks and Book Buying Habits

General members area for discussion of books and information about interviews, upcoming books, etc. Please note, is it not appropriate for authors to post promotional information about themselves here.

Moderators: FranW, PaulaO

Re: eBooks and Book Buying Habits

Postby PhoenixGre » 11 Mar 2013, 11:24

I buy all my lesbian fiction books in e-format online. A good part is because they don't sell the genre where I'm at, so it's impossible to purchase a paperpack at a local bookstore. And I've developed a habit of enjoying these books, while curled up with my notebook and a cup of tea. :)

For other books, like non-fiction, which is a second preference I'm going back into after awhile, I just buy them off the shelves or order them off Amazon. E-books are admittedly cheaper on the pocket too and you can download them instantly to read.
PhoenixGre
Not much sign of life yet
Not much sign of life yet

Postby Baker » 26 May 2013, 09:48

Yesterday, I received a weighty lesson in one advantage of ebooks over dead tree editions. The paperback I am reading ( >700 pages) weighs 1.6 kg. This is not the easiest object to hold in one hand for any length of time.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 26 May 2013, 23:34

The e-reader is really a boon to people with arthritis for that reason. The force required to hold open the pages of a heavier paperback book is considerable!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 27 May 2013, 02:39

That alone is what tempts me to get one.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 27 May 2013, 05:27

It was Connie Willis's Blackout that pushed me to get one. That was the most painful can't-put-it-down reading I've ever done!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 27 May 2013, 07:05

Proofrdr wrote:The e-reader is really a boon to people with arthritis for that reason. The force required to hold open the pages of a heavier paperback book is considerable!

Yup, ditto for Parkinson's, which one of our best friends suffers from. She gave up reading for years, but now she's back to it with a vengeance since she got an e reader!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 27 May 2013, 08:49

I still love books though. I worry that they will become obsolete. Then, when the apocalypse comes and mechanical devices are useless, how will people relearn everything they need to know like in Earth Abides?
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 27 May 2013, 23:51

As a corollary to this topic, a lot of computing is going to "the cloud." Adobe is switching to it, so people who want design software (including InDesign and Photoshop) have to subscribe to it. They can't buy it outright, they basically rent it. The big fear is that if they stop subscribing, they lose access to their files. Adobe will stop supporting older versions of Creative Suite. And Microsoft has Office 365, which I believe puts everything in the cloud.

When that becomes pervasive, we writers may be required to write to the cloud and how do we know no one will ever be able to hack into our documents? How will we fight the system when the system controls our communications tools? I have a manual typewriter in the basement, which I intend to keep, but where will I find a ribbon for it? And what if paper becomes a controlled substance? I see all sorts of possibilities for abuse. In the name of security we will give up a lot and that can include our creativity.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 28 May 2013, 01:35

You have raised every reason I don't use a cloud. Let's face it, the minute we go online, we open a door to hacking, but putting my stuff with a business that is also holding trillions of bits of other people's information seems like I'd be opening that door very wide indeed. I just don't trust it. And what if it crashes? Is there a back-up? And how is the back-up protected?

You raise a lot of valid concerns, E. Maybe we should start hoarding paper and pencils now.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to Discussions and Info