General Lesbian Fiction Suggestions?

General members area for discussion of books and information about interviews, upcoming books, etc. Please note, is it not appropriate for authors to post promotional information about themselves here.

Moderators: FranW, PaulaO

Re: General Lesbian Fiction Suggestions?

Postby FranW » 16 Nov 2012, 06:40

I've never read anything of Carey's. When her first book came out, I looked at it and read the first line and was so appalled, because it was blatantly plagiarised from the first line of a famous Renault book, that I slammed it shut and put it back on the shelf and never looked at her stuff again. I read somewhere later that she claimed she re used that first line as "homage" to Renault, but, I dunno, it left a bad taste in my mouth. But the books are, according to all reviews, very good.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PaulaO » 16 Nov 2012, 09:36

LOL

Um, sorry?
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
PaulaO
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 17 Nov 2012, 06:46

Jacqueline Carey: I'm a lifelong voracious reader and every author I admire has probably influenced my work, whether I realize it on a conscious level or not. The one I cite the most is Mary Renault, who wrote historical fiction set in ancient Greece. When I was ten years old, I read The Persian Boy. It was the first 'grown-up' work of fiction I read and I loved it . . . in fact, the first sentence of Kushiel's Dart is a deliberate homage.

http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/200 ... arey.shtml

Here's the first sentence of The Persian Boy: "Lest anyone should suppose I am a son of nobody, sold off by some peasant father in a drought year, I may say our line is an old one, though it ends with me."

Here's the first sentence of Kushiel's Dart: "Lest anyone should suppose that I am a cuckoo's child, got on the wrong side of the blanket by lusty peasant stock and sold into indenture in a shortfallen season, I may say that I am House-born and reared in the Night Court proper, for all the good it did me."
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to Discussions and Info