Interview of Sandi Toksvig at the Guardian

General members area for discussion of books and information about interviews, upcoming books, etc. Please note, is it not appropriate for authors to post promotional information about themselves here.

Moderators: FranW, PaulaO

Interview of Sandi Toksvig at the Guardian

Postby wildlx » 28 Aug 2012, 21:29

We are talking in her publishers' boardroom: Toksvig's new novel Valentine Grey, about a young woman who goes to fight in the Boer war in a bicycling regiment, is published next week. She has been writing the book on and off for four years, interested in the Boer war "because it was the first war where the average soldier was literate and they wrote home and said, 'This is rubbish, a really bad war and conditions are terrible and we shouldn't be here.' It did mark the beginning of the end of empire. It was the war where the public started to say, 'What are they doing there? What are they dying for?'" In person, Toksvig's voice is quieter than on TV or radio, with a gentle Scandi lilt. (She is also more Danish than the clipped broadcast tones would suggest.) She is warm, funny, interested in everything; I get the impression you could put a brick in front of her and she would become fascinated .

Her character, Valentine, is a young woman who grew up in India but is sent to England; her escape to war is also an escape from the restrictive ideas of her time. "I started, just by chance, reading about various women who had served as soldiers – Hannah Snell in particular, who became a marine, and served for six years on a boat called the Swallow and none of the men suspected. I became interested in the idea that a woman might desire a bicycle so much. In 1899, the bicycle was such a significant invention for women, in terms of changing their clothing and the literal liberation from the house."

The rest here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/au ... -interview
Last edited by wildlx on 29 Aug 2012, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Interview by Sandi Toksvig at the Guardian

Postby Nurse Jo » 29 Aug 2012, 05:18

:cool:
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 29 Aug 2012, 07:20

I didn't know they had bicycling regiments in the Boer war.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 29 Aug 2012, 07:32

I ADORE Sandi Toksvig. I could listen to her voice for hours. She's hilarous on the radio and on QI, a TV comedy panel show with Stephen Fry. Sometimes Fry and Toksvig are in their own little world of cleverness, but it's funny cleverness.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 29 Aug 2012, 07:47

I love to listen to Stephen Fry talk, so I expect I would like her too. I wish we could get QI here. I've seen occasional snippets of it.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 29 Aug 2012, 08:54

It is very funny. You would love the wordplay.
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Return to Discussions and Info