Favorite or Currently Reading/Read Lesbian Fiction Books

General members area for discussion of books and information about interviews, upcoming books, etc. Please note, is it not appropriate for authors to post promotional information about themselves here.

Moderators: FranW, PaulaO

Favorite or Currently Reading/Read Lesbian Fiction Books

Postby PhoenixGre » 11 Mar 2013, 12:10

I hope it's okay to post a thread like this. I can't find any similar threads in the whole Discussions and Info forum section. And I'm not really into writing detailed book reviews for the books that I've read.

Don't worry! I won't be any trouble. Mostly I'll just be talking to myself. lol
PhoenixGre
Not much sign of life yet

Re: Favorite or Currently Reading/Read Lesbian Fiction Books

Postby FranW » 11 Mar 2013, 12:18

Sure, new threads are always fine!

My utterly fave books, I think, are Nicola Griffith's Aud series (The Blue Place, Stay, and Always).

I'm currently beta-reading a YA lesbian novel for one author and a bi urban fantasy novel for another author.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 11 Mar 2013, 13:31

Totally okay to start new threads. :-)

I'm currently working my way through a mammoth non-fiction book that Wildlx has lent me, but I do intend to re-read "The Female Man" by the late, great Joanna Russ this year.

(Talking to yourself is also fine, and I can promise it won't make you seem out of place around here.)

So, what are you reading, PhoenixG?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 11 Mar 2013, 14:27

My favourite lesbian books also include Nicola Griffith's books and Joanna Russ's The female man. Others are e.g. Jeanette Winterson's "Written on the body", Marnie Woodrow's "Spelling Mississippi" or the first books in J.M Redman's Micky Knight series.
I am reading currently a non-fiction book but among the next lesbian books I intend to read is Hilary Sloin's "Art on Fire".
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 12 Mar 2013, 03:56

Sentimental favorite: Katherine Forrest's Curious Wine First book I read with hopeful ending for the lesbian.

Other than that, anything by Nicola Griffith. The woman can write!

I haven't read a lesfic book in quite a while. I've been foraging in Project Gutenberg and have read some old classics...some Brit lit and a couple of swashbuckler favorites from my childhood.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 12 Mar 2013, 09:07

Lee Lynch writes great lesfic about women "back in the day". Her old works are largely out of print, but if you can get your hands on a copy of The Swashbuckler or Toothpick House you'll be glad!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby PhoenixGre » 12 Mar 2013, 09:14

Wow! Thank you ladies for allowing this thread and posting in it too. :)

I enjoyed "Stay" by Nicola Griffith, although it's a long time since I've re-read it.

Two books that come off the top of my head that I loved for it's happy endings are Nancy Garden's "Annie on my mind" and Jay Taverner's "Rebellion".

I've recently discovered modern Lesbian Fiction, which puts me far behind everyone else. lol

It's like finding out a whole new world, that I love every bit of and slowly exploring. I'll be posting more thoughts in the future, incoherent they may be. lol
PhoenixGre

Postby wildlx » 12 Mar 2013, 12:04

Proof, Curious Wine is also one of the first lesbian books I've read along with An Emergence of Green, so they also have a special sentimental place.

PhoenixGre wrote:Two books that come off the top of my head that I loved for it's happy endings are Nancy Garden's "Annie on my mind" and Jay Taverner's "Rebellion".lol

I haven't read either of those books. Actually, I had never heard about the latter :blush:. I see it is a Onlywomen Press book. They publish two lesbian authors that I like A LOT: VG Lee (Diary of a Provincial Lesbian; The comedienne; The woman in beige) and Helen Shacklady (The patterned flute/The stolen crate/The lacquered box)
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 13 Mar 2013, 11:52

When, at age 32, I unexpectedly fell in love with a woman, I read the only lesbian book I knew of--Hall's The Well of Loneliness. It so depressed me that I didn't look for any others until 2005 when I stumbled upon Curious Wine.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 13 Mar 2013, 15:17

Oh, god, Well of Loneliness. Didn't that used to be the definitive lesbian must-read? (Probably before you chucked yourself off a bridge.)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Discussions and Info